32 • unwelcomed customer • 32

I woke up still feeling sorry for myself the next morning

I woke up still feeling sorry for myself the next morning. After dinner last night I confined myself to my bedroom and blocked them out by listening to Stevie Nicks through my earphones.

Tommy walked in on me brushing my teeth in the bathroom and said something, but he quickly caught on I couldn't hear him at all. Luckily for me he caught on and didn't stick around trying to get me to hear him. This worked in his favour. It helped my anger towards him cool off a tad.

I fell alseep shortly after seeing Tommy. I had to use my music to block out my thoughts, though. I found when I tried to go to sleep in silence it would just allow my mind to focus on the thoughts of my Dad and let them circle around my head. With music I was able to focus on something. I had a distraction.

I used music the same way this morning. I was sat at the kitchen table like every morning, but I wasn't apart of what was going on around me. Peter had a court hearing at eleven and was taking his time to cook himself a nice breakfast.

When I had entered the kitchen my mother was more preoccupied. She was on the phone and talking at the person on the other end, but I couldn't hear what she was saying. In the breaks in the conversation she managed to steal I realised she was trying to get my attention, but I pretended I didn't realise.

The boys were less observant of what I was doing. I felt their awkward gazes on me when I first came into the room. I understood why. They had never seen me upset about something personal like this. Not really. My stepbrothers probably knew the basics of what happened between my parents, but we had never really talked about it.

There was the occasional mention of Alice, but it was nothing really deep. Of course,  everything surrounding Alice affects me, but this was different. My father was someone who I'd never left myself cry myself to sleep to the thought of. He was someone who kept me up at night thinking.

School was as uneventful as breakfast. It was only when I got a text from Billy did things start looking up. We arranged to meet at Cafe Rocks so that I could study for the second English test I had and then we were going to go for ice cream. Billy even said he'd pick me up from school, which meant I didn't have to ride home with my stepbrothers.  I was so thankful for the distraction. I wanted to be anywhere, but at home.

When we arrived at Cafe Rocks, Bill's son, Chris Stevens, was keeping the Cafe running. Billy and I headed up to the counter and the pair of them made small talk. Despite Billy being from the rival school, Chris seemed to get on pretty well with him. I couldn't tell whether they would say they're friends, but they seemed like they could have a laugh together when working.

"Just me and you for this shift, Billy." Chris said, leaning against the counter, losing interest in the customer he just served from the moment they turned their back.

"So it seems. What time we closing?" Billy smirked.

"Seven thirty.  Same as usual. If it's dead we should try and get out of here sooner." Chris stated. "No point in keeping the place open if there's no customers, am I right?"