Chapter 122

BREN

As the others gathered everyone to the second floor, I ran back up the stairs to the bridal room, using the master key to open the door. I didn't try to be quiet as I stormed toward the bathroom, but I didn't hear Deon's or Noodle's grunts and panting anymore. They must be done. That was quick, I thought. No matter. We have more pressing issues to deal with.

I knocked once and opened the door. Deon already had his underwear up to his knees while Noodle barely had time to put his shirt on; a look of surprise and horror crossed their faces, and Noodle's face turned beet red with shame.

"We have a problem—" I started.

But Deon interrupted me. "It's not what it looks like!"

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, get over yourself. I'm not a child." I picked up Deon's jeans and threw them at him. He caught it mid-air. "Get dressed. Soldiers are coming, and everyone's going up here to hide. You two better be decent."

Noddle and Deon both shared a concerned look.

I sighed. "I'm not gonna tell anyone if that's what you two are concerned about. I'm gay, too."

"Wait. You are?" Noodle asked.

"I'm not gay," Deon muttered under his breath, but I heard him.

I shook my head. I have no time for this. "Doesn't matter. Listen. Just get ready and be armed. I want to be quiet. They're gonna reach the door any minute now."

I walked out of the room just as Alfie came up the stairs with Edgar, Marie, Nico, Gus, and Monica. Indy followed close behind.

Gus reached me first. "Bren! I can't find Riki! I can't find my ferret! I think he's still down there—"

Crap. "I don't think we have time to look for him, Gus."

"But—!" Gus almost teared up, trying to find words to argue with, but Monica, Alfie, and Marie dragged him into the bridal room, sparing me some time.

I turned to Edgar. "Where's Paloma?"

"She went out to the courtyard to warn Aria and Holly," Edgar answered. "She'll be here any minute."

I doubt we have a minute. "Okay. Just get inside the room," I said, and Edgar nodded.

I strode toward the stairwell and found Jun, Haskell, Barry, and Russell just coming up while Logan and Peter forced Yousef up the first steps. I helped Jun carry Haskell into the room and came back out to find that Logan and Peter were still having trouble dragging Yousef higher up the stairs.

"Quick! We need to lock the gate!" Peter hissed.

"No! We can't! Aria is still out there!" Yousef said. "Let me go!"

"Can't you hear? They're already knocking on the door," Logan tried to reason with him, but Yousef wouldn't budge.

I heard the soldiers, too, muffled from the second floor, but each thump of their fists against the door reverberated across the vaulted ceiling and the spacious worship hall. Luckily, we locked the front doors on our way in.

Suddenly, it stopped.

They must be looking for another way in.

"Hurry up!" I whispered from the top of the stairs.

Both Logan and Peter glared at me.

"Ah, screw this!" Peter exclaimed.

Peter let go of Yousef, and when the boy was about to make a run for it, Peter pulled out his pistol and clubbed him over the head. Yousef went limp, but luckily, Logan caught him before he hit the ground.