Chapter 28: Breathe, just breathe

Steve and The Winter Soldier had locked eyes as the team made their way to the scene. Unfortunately, they took his confusion as a way out and jumped over the side of the bridge the two were on, landing directly on the HYDRA motorcycle that brought him in.

Tony made his way down to Steve yelling at the top of his lungs, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

"That.. Tony.. That was-" Steve started but was quickly interrupted by Tony again.

"HE'S GETTING AWAY! Vision, follow him immediately! Keep us updated as you go!" Tony instructed as Vision nodded and flew in the direction that The Winter Soldier had taken off to.

While Tony landed and began laying into Steve even more, Wanda and Clint ran up behind Y/N to see how they were. The adrenaline of the fight was beginning to wear off and they were met with the realization that they were now apart from Yelena who was fighting for her life on the way back to the compound.

Their breaths were being cut shorter and shorter as their heart rate rose.

"Hey, hey. Y/N, it's okay. She's going to be okay," Wanda said as she wrapped her arm around their shoulder, "Bruce has her and he's the best of the best. You know this. She's going to make it."

Y/N leaned into Wanda's embrace as their eyes now began rapidly searching the scene. Blue things, they thought, blue things. What can I see?

Clint leaned down next to Y/N, watching their eyes move quicker than he'd ever seen. He noticed that they also weren't aware that he was there, too far gone in their own world of thoughts.

"Wanda... We need to get them out of here," He stated as he roped his arm under Y/N's and held them up. Their eyes were still searching. Blue car, blue sign, they thought, blue hair, blue lights.

The two were growing more and more concerned as they were unable to pull them from their thoughts. As they picked Y/N up off the ground, Tony made his way over to the group alongside Steve.

"Rhodes is on his way in with the other Quinjet. We'll debrief the mission when we're all back and settled. Any update on Belova?" He asked.

Y/N eyes finally darted up and out of their thoughts at the mention of her name. Unfortunately, it seemed as though no one had heard anything from Nat or Bruce, causing Y/N to spiral even more.

"She's.. She's gone. Oh my god, they would've said something by now. She's gone," They repeated over and over as they fell to their knees, "I fucked up and she's gone before I could fix it."

Though Wanda and Clint still held on tightly to their arms, Steve jumped over to hoist them up, "Listen to me, you cannot do this. We don't know and you cannot let yourself go into a pit. Look at me," He stated as he pulled their chin up so that they would meet his eyes, "Until we get word from Nat or Bruce, you need to pull it together."

Y/N's eye movements began to slow as they took in what he was saying to them. Wanda moved her hand from their lower back to their shoulder and rubbed hard as they leaned in close, "She's going to make it. She's strong, plus Nat would never let her go that easy."

They nodded, leaning into Steve's chest as he pulled them into an embrace, "I know it's scary, but we have to wait until we know."

After a few minutes, the team finally got Y/N back on their feet and headed toward their cars to return to the airport. Once they arrived, they found Rhodes already waiting for them to head back to the compound.

As they were boarding, Vision flew in quickly from his chase with The Winter Soldier. He landed directly next to Tony and walked in with him, updating him on everything that had happened while he was gone.

The team took their normal seats on the jet, but this time around the seats in front of Steve and Y/N were empty as Nat and Yelena were not with them. When they saw the seats, Y/N choked down their tears and took their seat next to the window.

Before Steve could take his seat next to them, Wanda walked over to ask if she could steal it for a few minutes. Y/N hadn't noticed as their eyes were glued to the window while they tried to hold back the tears that were burning their eyes.

He nodded and stepped aside for her to take his seat. As she sat, she reached her hand over to rest on their forearm.

Y/N pulled themselves from the window to see who had grabbed them. They were shocked to see Wanda sitting there beside them, especially with her hand laid on their arm.

"I just wanted to check in on you. I've never seen you like... that. How you were back in the city I mean. It worried me," She stated.

Their eyes fell to the spots on their arm that Wanda was tracing with her thumb, "I just don't know what I'm going to do if she doesn't make it," Y/N responded as they laid their head back on the headrest. The tears were about to fall, but they blinked them away as they tilted their head up.

Wanda was clearly uncomfortable, but Y/N was too focused on their worries to notice, "You really care about her, don't you?" She asked.

"Of course I do," They started as they looked over at Wanda, "I know you probably don't want to hear about my feelings for her, but yes. I care about her, a lot."

She nodded and gulped down the worries of the answers to what she'd ask next, "Do you... Do you love her?"

Y/N adjusted themselves in their seat, shocked at the question, "What- Why would you ask that?"

Wanda took a deep breath again knowing there was no going backward in this conversation now, "You never looked at me the way you looked at her today. You never stopped working for me, but you almost left one of the most important missions you've ever been on to be with her."

"Wanda, she almost died-" They answered, but were quickly interrupted.

"It doesn't matter. When you came to help me, there was a difference in how you looked at me. I realized it when you held her in your arms, Y/N..." She answered.

They blinked quickly, trying to process what she was saying, "I just.. I care. I care a lot about her..." They said, trailing off as they looked back to the window.

With that, Wanda knew the conversation wouldn't go much further as Y/N was now trying to sift through even more feelings that they were having. She grabbed their hand and rubbed the back of it with her thumb, "It's okay, Y/N."

Y/N returned their eyes to her, still trying to figure out if they agreed with what Wanda was saying.

"She is going to be okay and I hope that when you see her, you tell her what's on your heart," She said before patting their hand and returning to her seat where Vision was waiting for her. Y/N knew what Wanda was insinuating with her comment, but what was on their heart?

Do I love her? They thought. Oh my God...