coma

"haechan, you should go home and sleep.....its been four hours" his mother said, approaching him as his eyes were closing shut slowly

"no it's okay.....she'll be awake soon I-I have to be there when she's awake" the boy mumbled and his mother sighed taking a seat beside him.

"haechan....please, you need some rest, your health matters just as much" his mum repeated and he squeezed his eyes shut before blinking them open

"I don't need rest right now okay? what I need is for my girlfriend to come out of this drug induced coma-"

"haechan don't snap at your mom, we're all on edge here okay?" mark scolded from beside him and haechan slumped back into his seat finding it hard to control his emotions.

his eyes were bloodshot, hair messy and the knuckles red with blood from previously punched the walls of the hospital after finding out that Chaerin had slipped into a coma. he was ready to rip this world to shreds. he was ready to tear everything apart just for her.

she was yet another girl he couldn't save, just like Hyesoo. he hoped that out of all things that had to happen, she didnt have to leave like Hyesoo did, lying on a bed unconscious and unable to tell haechan a goodbye. he wouldn't be able to handle that. even sitting in the waiting room was enough to make his heart feel like it had just been ripped out of his body.

everything was going in slow motion, the clock ticked slower, the nurses walked slower, the doctors spoke slower, yet he was able to process none of it. in this slow world he was trapped in, the only thing that was racing were his own thoughts.

everyone was on edge as well, trying to comfort haechan as much as they could but they new their words would go in one of his ears and out the other. haechan's mother had never seen him this bad. even with Hyesoo haechan wasn't this bad, because he was young. now he was older, mature enough to realise that once someone left this world, they were never coming back.

"Leetuk!" the voice of Chaerin's mother made haechan look up immediately to the man in a doctor's coat, mid 30s and a recognizable face.

"hey, how are you guys holding up?" leetuk asked those in the waiting room

"a bit stressed, how about Chaerin? did you hear anything from the doctor?" mark asked, standing up to his feet along with haechan

"yeah, they're considering to use another drug through the IV drip than the current one....actually that's why I'm here" leetuk stated, taking the clip board from behind his back to the front

"the drug they're considering using now, diazepam, is one that usually helps with alcohol withdrawal symptoms, she will have to follow up on the medication along with antibiotics for another two weeks. theres good news and bad news...good news is that she will be awake in a matter of hours once the drug is fully absorbed into her blood stream, bad news....is that diazepam....can lead to memory loss....especially at the high dosage necessary for this treatment" he informed and the room immediately grew silent. a thick cloud of despair forming around the four people who remained there with the doctor.

"what are the chances of memory loss?" haechan asked, his voice strained and groggy from the shouts and screams and cries.

"usually low...but considering the fact that the alcohol intake is high in this case, the chances are higher...higher than they should be" leetuk answered with a sigh

"listen, I know it's hard to decide now...but prolonging this treatment could lead to further complications like liver or kidney damage. she needs to be conscious and eating well for these antibiotics to work properly. make whichever decision suits you but as your family doctor, I advise on agreeing to the diazepam route" leetuk explained, passing the clipboard to Chaerin's mother. she hesitated, not knowing whether to sign it or not. she wanted to trust Leetuk, after all, he was the doctor.

"what if she....doesn't remember us" mark asked haechan, gripping his own head in his hands and haechan sighed

"its better that she's alive and healthy right? I'd rather her live freely than remember me" haechan said quietly making mark sigh

"I can't....I can't believe it's come to this" mark stated as haechan stood up from the waiting room chair.

"maybe it's for the best....I dont think remembering everything that's happened in the past few months is going to be a good thing for her anyway" haechan said, leaving their sides and turning the corner to walk into the restroom.

his hands gripped the sink roughly, veins sticking out of his hands as they gripped onto the ceramic material. his head lifted up slowly, allowing himself to take in the view of his red eyes and eye bags.  he couldn't help but let a tear slip down, yet he had to be strong. act strong for those around him, especially for Chaerin's mom, no matter how much it hurt him.

exiting the bathroom, he planned to walk back to the waiting room, however he saw two familiar figures engaged in a conversation. seeing Chaerin's father talking to Leetuk sparked curiosity in him. he hid behind the corner and listened in as much as he can, peeking over the wall every now a then to get a better idea of what was happening.

"you're sure this diazepam thing works right?"

"I'm sure...its what we used last time.. with this dose she'll forget enough to keep you safe"

"good. I dont want her fucking up anything further. here...I put in some extra...make sure everything goes to plan. I need her alive, her mother wont give me the business contract otherwise"

"I understand sir, I'll be sure to follow your orders"

haechan's eyes widened as he watched  Chaerin's dad pass a slick white envelope filled with cash inside towards Leetuk. a wicked smile on the two men's faces as they continued with the schemes.

a/n: don't worry guys, it gets worse before it gets better...promise 🙂