two. sunnyvale

THERE WAS JUST SOMETHING so attractive when Phoenix wore her cheer uniform

THERE WAS JUST SOMETHING so attractive when Phoenix wore her cheer uniform. The girl stared at herself in the mirror, a smirk growing wider, as she continued to ogle herself like she was a horny teenage boy.

She vaguely remembers being obsessed with herself ever since she could remember. One of the most prominent memories she had in her head was when she was barely five years old: a boy had once cut her hair in class— and Phoenix had bit his hand so hard that it left a scar and a bit of blood trickling down his palm.

That year in preschool was one of the best years of her life. No one dared to touch her or her long, black hair.

"You're so hot," she mumbled to herself one last time, grabbing her backpack as she ran off to the gymnasium. The coach was probably already doing his briefing— she was always late to practice, and at her sophomore year of high school, he had just seemed to give up on trying to make her go to rehearsals entirely.

As she expected, he was already starting his briefing. She could vaguely see his eyes drifting onto the door she entered in, a disappointed sigh coming out of his lips, before continuing. "Before tonight's game, out of respect for last night's tragic event... Sunnyvale will host a candle-lit vigil for the victims. All players, cheer, and band attendance is mandatory."

Nixie found herself gagging in disgust, which was accomplished by her schoolmates screaming "boo!" and a bunch of other words in malice.

A bunch of hours later, hair tied up and sprayed with hairspray, a cup of lemonade in hand, Phoenix listened to the speech Mr. Goode was reading off his paper. It was like he didn't even bother pretending he had some sort of speech memorized. Nixie theorized that he must've asked his assistant to write it for him since he kept on glancing at the written paper every two words he would speak.

"This isn't how I wanted to be here tonight. I wanted to be here as a fan, our Sunnyvale devils and your Shadyside witches throwing down some good old American football. Instead, I find myself here as a husband, a father, as a neighbor. And, yes, mayor of Sunnyvale."

"I wonder who had to sleep with to become Mayor?" Nixie jokes in front of Kate, who was stifling a laugh. She'd expected him to be a mayor eventually. Only good things happened to the Goode's.

"And on behalf of all of the people in my town, I say all of Sunnyvale mourns with you."

Phoenix glances at the cheerleaders and the football players, who looked like they wanted to hang themselves instead of standing here. None of you care. None of you give a flying fuck. Stop pretending as you do, Nixie thought, shuffling closer to Kate.

"Yeah, really looks like they give a damn," Kate mumbles bitterly, eyes looking over towards the swarm of red and gold colors as if she'd read her friend's mind. "The only Sunnyvalers who came were the ones who had to. The football team and the cheerleaders."