6 | Caren

"You nervous?"

               "You nervous?"

               Xavier's query was heard he lowered the Donell Jones. I was seated in the passenger seat of Xavier's white Mercedes-AMG, wearing a spaghetti strap jumpsuit and Air Jordan 'Shattered Backboard 3.0' sneakers, with my hair pulled up in a twisted top knot bun and White Gold bar dangle earrings.

               We were in Austin, nearing the wealthy neighborhood his parents house was situated in and his question to me made my expression screw in confusion. "Why would I be nervous?" I asked, chuckling a little. "You are the one that's about to face your parents after all of these years and not just to come by and say hello. You're about to basically tell them how much of bad parents they are."

               "I mean, they wasn't all bad." He shrugged, eyeing the road. "Just certain shit therapy helped me realize that damaged me—that young boy I used to be. I never talked to 'em about it and it's time to."

               "Correction: you have tried to express yourself and they dismissed you."

               "Okay, you right."

               "I know, and today, you need to let out everything you've always wanted to say. Don't allow them to keep on cutting you off and make you feel like your feelings don't matter."

               Xavier falls into a thoughtful silence, tugging lightly on his beard.

               Soon, he was stopping his Mercedes-AMG in front of a gate and reached out to press the intercom button. "Hey... uh, it's me. Xavier."

               Xavier let go of the button and pulled his arm back in the car. "Do you think they're gonna open it?"

               He exhaled sharply. "Hopefully. I ain't drive all this way for nothing."

               We waited for a little while, then the gate opened. He drove down the brick, long driveway and I leaned forward to stare at their mansion.

 He drove down the brick, long driveway and I leaned forward to stare at their mansion