000.

"heart, we will forget him, you and i tonight! 

you must forget the warmth he gave, i will forget the light."

- emily dickinson

-   sometime after   -

THE PAIN RIPPED  through her abdomen as though he were there now, standing over her with bloodlust in the dark eyes that loved to latch to hers, dragging a knife slowly through her wilted body. The tiled floor was cold under her hands, which were doing their best to hold her weight and keep her from completely collapsing. Every breath that came from her mouth was ragged and spurred more jolts of pain.

The thought of what she must look like right now was almost enough to bring about laughter. She was covered in water and blood, her hair stuck to her face as she writhed on the floor from the torment of it all. For what must have been the millionth time, she wished she were dead already.

But of course, he wouldn't allow it, would he?

Reaching a hand up slowly, she grabbed onto the slippery sink counter and tried to pull herself up. A gasp escaped her lips as something in her middle twisted sickeningly, and her hand slipped off the counter, causing her to plummet back to the hard floor.

The stairs that led up to the hall outside the bathroom began to creak. The door beside her was opened enough so that she could see the figure steadily climbing the steps. So, he had returned at last.

She breathed in and out, waiting for his footsteps to be right outside the opened door. Maybe he would finally end it this time. Finally. The word rang out again and again inside her head. Finally, finally.

There was a prying feeling deep in her skull. It was almost unnoticeable, but she knew exactly what it meant.

The boards creaked outside the door.

His all-too-familiar voice was soft yet distinct as it replied to her last thought:

"Oh, but it's never that simple, dear."