Chapter 31: Reunited again

Before Y/N could forget, they texted Natasha to let her know Yelena had woken up.

(Just now) Y/N:

"She's up, get down here."

Without question or a text back, Nat was sprinting down to the med bay. It had only been just over a minute when she made it into Yelena's room. By this time, she was much more alert than she had been with Y/N. Still tired and struggling to keep her eyes open, but more alert than either Nat or Y/N had expected her to be.

"Jesus Christ you stupid bitch," Nat said as she rushed in to sit on the side of the bed opposite of Y/N, "I thought I lost you all over again. Now that you're awake, I can kill you myself," She finished with tears brimming on her eyelids.

The two sisters laughed as Nat leaned in to hug Yelena around her neck. Y/N smiled as they saw the happiness in Nat's face when she saw that her sister was finally awake.

As they stood, Y/N rubbed the back of Yelena's hand, "I'm going to head upstairs and let you all have some time together," They started but were quickly interrupted.

"Please don't," Yelena interjected, "Can you stay?"

Shocked, Y/N stood there for a second processing the question.

"No, yeah of course. Yes, I'll stay," They said, sitting back down in the seat that was placed next to her bed.

Without letting go of their hand, Yelena pulled them toward her, "No, up here. Nat, help me move," She said as she tried to shift to the side of the bed where Nat was so that Y/N could sit with her.

Nat and Y/N were both surprised at the request as they looked at each other, but neither of them was going to question her. They gently helped her move a few inches over so that Y/N could sit back on the bed next to them.

As they laid their head down, Yelena shifted a bit so that her head was now rested on their shoulder. Y/N turned their head a bit admiring the sight of having her so close to them once again. They leaned down to place a kiss on the top of her head before whispering, "I'm so glad you're awake, I don't know what I would've done if you hadn't made it."

"Yeah, me neither. You probably would've died without me," She responded with a small breath out as she laughed lightly, "But I'm still upset with you, so don't get any ideas."

That might've upset Y/N in any other circumstance, but just knowing that she was alive laying next to them was enough. She was enough, more than enough. The human laid next to them made them happier than they had ever been and all they wanted was to just be in her life, however that may be.

After a small laugh, Y/N laid their cheek on the top of her head as they rested their hand on top of hers under her covers. When she felt their hand lay on top of hers, Yelena shifted her hand over to intertwine her fingers with theirs. She leaned her head closer into them as she rubbed her thumb over the back of their hand.

Nat looked over the both of them laying there and smiled tenderly at the two. It was easy for anyone to see how deeply they cared for each other and seeing them together created a warm feeling in her heart for them.

"Well, I will be heading out. I know you're in good hands here with Y/N, Yelena. I'll find Bruce to let him know that you're awake as well," Nat said as she leaned down to give her one last hug.

Before leaning back to leave, she whispered into Yelena's ear, "Tell them."

Though Yelena had little strength, she found enough at that time to throw her fist into her sister's side. Nothing Nat couldn't take, sadly. All it did was provoke a laugh from her before standing by her bedside, "I'm serious."

Yelena bit the side of her cheek as she held down the annoyance with her sister that was burning in her chest. Nat took that as her cue to leave as she nodded to the two of them and stepped out of the room.

"Tell me what?" Y/N asked without hesitation. Though Nat was a spy, she was apparently shit at whispering or knew exactly what she was doing. Y/N would venture to say that Nat had done it on purpose so that Yelena wouldn't have a choice but to talk about whatever she'd said.

"I'll tell you another day. I'm tired right now. Can you just.. Can you hold me? I'm cold," She asked as she lifted her head to look up at Y/N.

They smiled down as they nodded, wrapping their arm around her and pulling her up to cuddle into their shoulder. With Yelena wrapped in their arms, they felt as though this might be the perfect time to tell her what they'd been professing just before she had finally woken up.

As they were staring down at her while she tried to fall asleep, they heard Yelena start to speak, "I can feel you staring, idiot."

Y/N laughed knowing that her being able to joke like this meant that she was really starting to feel a bit better. 

"Yeah, can't help it. I thought I'd lost you so I'm trying to appreciate every second that I get while I'm awake with you," They answered as they squeezed her in tight.

The response from Y/N made Yelena blush as they nuzzled in closer to them, shifting her head to lay in the crook of their neck. As she was trying to fall asleep, she laid her arm across Y/N's waist and ran her fingers over their arm that was laying on the bed. The longer she did this, the more the thoughts rang in their head. 

Say it, say it, say it. Just say it! Do it! Come on!

They'd begun to get so loud that Y/N swallowed hard before going to speak, "Are you still awake?" They asked.

"Barely," She answered.