Chapter 33

I woke up to the startling sensation of cool fingertips pressing against the back of my neck and stifled a yelp of surprise. Sophie was kneeling beside me on the rug, water dripping from the ends of her hair. A droplet landed on my cheek and I brushed it away before sitting up and shaking off the last traces of sleep that clouded my mind.

"Hey," I said, studying Sophie's well-scrubbed face. If she was hungover, and I had no doubt that she was, she carried it very well. Freckles, usually hidden by foundation, dotted the bridge of her nose and her eyes shimmered like pale sapphires, the white spaces no longer stained red from crying. A night of sleep had definitely improved the shadows under her eyes and although she still looked more worn down than usual, I couldn't help but think that she really was the most beautiful girl I'd ever met.

"Hi," she said, biting down on her lip. She wrung her hands together and I noticed that, for once, her fingers were bare. Without any rings to twist around, she rubbed her knuckles in small circular motions. "Parker, I am so sorry."

"What for?" I asked, resisting the urge to tuck a rogue flyaway behind her ear.

"Yesterday." She peeked at me, her face a mask of guilt. "The past few weeks."

"Forget about it." I hesitated before continuing, "How much do you actually remember from yesterday?"

Sophie grimaced. "Not much, but I know I must have embarrassed myself pretty badly if you're here."

I shook my head and decided not to mention her stomach's display of digestive pyrotechnics. "You were fine. What time is it?"

"I'm sorry, it's only seven in the morning. I was going to let you sleep but I didn't know if you had somewhere to be today or... Or, something."

"No, it's cool." I stood, pulling my jeans up by the belt loops as I got to my feet. I was stunned that I'd slept for nearly eleven hours. I couldn't even remember the last time I'd gone to bed without waking up at least once during the night. "I should head home. Any plans for the day?"

"Nothing really," she said. I held out a hand to help her up and a rush ran down my spine when our fingers touched. "Probably going to stay in and try to salvage what's left of my dignity."

I ran my tongue across the bottom row of my teeth and hoped my breath didn't smell. "Seriously, forget about it."

Sophie's brow furrowed and she looked down, studying her slipper covered feet. "You're, like, not a real person, are you?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, even after I ignored you for weeks, the minute I needed you... You were there, no questions asked. Who even does that?"

"I do," I said with a shrug and Sophie nodded.

"I know," she said, studying me searchingly. Quietly, she added, "That's why you're so perfect."

I scratched the back of my neck, embarrassed. "I'm sure you would've done it for me."

"Probably not, actually," Sophie admitted, not bothering to sugarcoat the bluntness of her response. "I didn't even want to talk to you until yesterday."

"Oh, thanks. Why'd you call me, anyway?" I asked, stretching my arms over my head. "Please don't tell me you woke up yesterday morning and decided to spend the day drinking alone."

Sophie laughed. "No, it's not like that. I, uh, went to lunch with some people and had too many Bloody Marys. It was sort of a steep downhill spiral after that." She twirled a finger in the air for effect.

"Who were you with?" I asked, annoyed that she had friends who would let her get that wasted and then leave her to her own devices. I couldn't even think of an enemy who I'd knowingly do that to.