005

nova — peter parker

chapter five: you kiss your mother with that mouth?

。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。

The youngest Maximoff had helped a few more kids onto the boats, some of the older team's members had checked in on their youngest teammate, glad she was handling herself well.

     The ground began to crack as the girl held a young boy's hand, a small puppy in her grasp. They were about to travel over a bridge, but as its remnants plummeted down, the pair quickly started sprinting the other way.

     Her coat trailing behind her, the girl sprinted through the streets, still clutching into the boy and the dog as if her life depended on it ( which was ironic, considering it was technically the other way around ).

     They were still traveling through the buildings closer to the middle of the city, so the two had no idea what was happening outside their vicinity. They could only hear Ultron's voice booming throughout his army.

     "Do you see the beauty of it? The inevitability. You rise, only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor. My swift and terrible sword. And the earth will crack with the weight of your failure. Purge me from your computers, turn my own flesh against me. It means nothing. When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."

     Just then, Arabella noticed the rumbling of the ground below them, the larger cracking of the pavement indicating that something was happening.

     She could hear the faint roars of the Hulk, meaning that Banner had found Natasha and got her out of Ultron's cell.

     The boy whimpered as a building almost in front of them toppled to the ground. To distract him as they darted the other way, she asked, "Kid, what's your name?"

     "Ashton," he responded, horrified tears streaming down his cheekbones. "The dog's name's Max."

     "Pretty name," she cooed and blasted another robot away from them.

     Captain America came in over her comms piece. "Stark, you worry about bringing the city back down safely. The rest of us have one job: tear these things apart. You get hurt, hurt them back. You get killed . . . walk it off."

     "Nice pep talk, Captain," sarcastically muttered Arabella.

     "Ashton! Ash!" she heard as she rounded the corner. She slowed her strides down as the boy called out for his mother. Arabella could see a woman jogging up to them, immediately reaching for her child and showering him in sloppy kisses on his forehead. 

     Tears grew in her eyes at the mother, mind flooding with thoughts that screamed, "Why couldn't that be me?" She bit her lip to halt the tears from flowing freely down her face.