Part 42

Buckle up guys, things are about to get... interesting.

I had not seen Catherine all evening, which was probably to be expected if you take into account how many people were currently in the ballroom. But sure enough, servers started filling in from all corners of the room to serve champagne to all of the guests. This was as good a sign as any that something permitting a toast was about to go down.

The orchestra started playing a soft tune and everyone's attention was drawn to the small stage in the front of the room where Catherine Knight was busy ascending the stairs. Her hair was pinned up in an elaborate up do and her gown had a short train following behind her. If I had to sum up her appearance in word, it would be "elegant".

As she reached the top of the stage a microphone was already waiting for her to address her guests.

"Good evening friends and distinguished guests," She started, her crisp voice filling the ballroom, killing off all other sound.

"It is my great honor and privilege to welcome you most warmly this evening to the "Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Charity Ball". Knight Incorporated is pleased to host this event, which aims to raise money to further cancer research. This cause is so near to me personally, having lost my husband Walt to lymphoma eight years ago." Her voice cracked slightly with the last sentence.

The woman was good. I was almost inclined to believe her speech had all the emotion (along with the tears brimming her eyes) not disappeared in a matter of seconds. There was no way a woman who truly cared for her husband and was still grieving his death after eight years would be able to switch off deep pain like that in a matter of seconds.

"Last year's event was a tremendous success," she continued, without so much as a quiver in her voice, "and I have no doubt in my mind that this year, with the immense generosity from all of you, we'll be able to meet, if not exceed what we were able to raise last year. Now, I can spend an eternity up here, thanking and welcoming each and every esteemed guest personally, but let's be honest, we don't really have enough time." 

Que the chuckles from all the self-important guests. My eyes inadvertently moved to William to see whether he was as absorbed with his own importance as everyone else present. A part of me was pleased to see that he had not joined in with everyone else, although this could be because of his inability to laugh. I chose, however, to believe that he wasn't as pretentious and stuck-up as everyone else.

"So without further ado, I will leave you to enjoy the rest of the evening." She ended, gesturing towards the orchestra to start up again. 

There was a mixture of applause and music filling the air. 

Catherine made her way down the stairs and through the crowd, stopping every so often to talk with guests.

William lightly held my elbow, drawing my attention away from his aunt and towards him. 

"Would you like another drink?" He asked, already taking the empty champagne flute from my grasp.

"Uhm, yes, thank you." I answered.

"I'll be right back." He made his way to the bar area to place our orders.

My eyes followed his retreating back. How was it possible that he was handsome from every angle?

"Good evening Miss Bennet." Catherine said from right behind me.

I jumped slightly, not realizing that anyone had been standing so close until she spoke.

I turned my attention to her, straightening up as I did so.

"Good evening, this is quite the spectacular event." I commented, allowing my eyes to travel across the décor.