| xxiv: new development |

"People aren't either wicked or noble

"People aren't either wicked or noble. They're like chef's salads, with good things and bad things chopped and mixed in a vinaigrette of confusion and conflict." —Lemony Snicket

" —Lemony Snicket

Jaipur, India

The case seemed weirder than I had expected. We had clues that could lead us somewhere but nothing that could tell us about the killer, apart from the strange snake tattoo he had on his right hand.

That was the only vital detail about the killer's appearance.

He had done a great job while camouflaging himself in the dark by wearing dark clothes when he had come to kidnap Vibha.

"He's not a registered criminal," Vihaan said, keeping the file down. "There's no criminal with a snake tattoo in our criminal records."

"That's because Sir," Aman said, looking over at his laptop, "serial killers are psychopaths. A psychopath behaves extremely normal under the public eye hence, they are difficult to identify. Also, they are extremely good at the art of manipulation and exceptionally good when it comes to teens."

Now that was some information. I noted down the important points on the behaviours and actions of a serial killer that Amar read out from various articles and of course, Wikipedia.

I sometimes wonder if our research would take years to find that man. I mean even Dad had spent almost years by now just to reach the end of this case. But unfortunately, there was no luck.

Almost eight years and the culprit was still roaming freely.

Something wasn't adding up.

Vihaan picked up his blue marker and started writing something on the whiteboard. I jotted down some more points remembering some details from the autopsy I had conducted a few weeks ago.

I turned around on my chair and noticed that Vihaan was done with his writing. I looked over to the board and read the contents on it.