awake

"she's gonna be alright son, just relax a bit" Haechan's dad said, placing a hand on the shoulder of his son who was seating on the plastic chair near the hospital bed, he was finally able to see her. he played with her fingers, her cold, fragile and limp fingers.

"what if it doesn't work...what if it-"

"haechan...I've treated many patients like this before okay, this drug is the one with the least amount of side effects and the fastest acting one as well. I trusted you, it's your turn to trust me" his dad said, squeezing his shoulder reassuringly

"come on, your mom is waiting at home, its 4am and you need some rest" his dad said but he shook his head

"no, I'll-...just a bit longer just...let me stay for a while" haechan said, his eyes slowly dropping as he intertwined one of his hands with hers, letting his head rest onto them as he leaned forward on the chair.

"she's....going to...wake up soon" he mumbled out, with barely any energy to make him stay awake.

his father eventually finished with checking the vitals and left the room, leaving the two sleeping peacefully together, knowing that there was no use in separating the two.

as haechan was drifting into a deep sleep, the sound of the heart monitor picking up in speed simply faded into the background.

the sudden sound of the monitor beeping one sound continuously made him squeeze his eyes shut, tears welling up in their eyes as his ears heard the machine make the flat line noise he prayed to never hear again after Hyesoo.

"ch-chaerin! chaerin...please...chaerin please wake up!" he cried, sitting up in a rushing and attempting to shake her awake but nothing happened.

"chaerin! chaerin why can't you hear me?!" he shouted, watching nurses enter the room in a rush

"stand by, 180" the doctor ordered before the nurse used machines and equipment he didnt know the names of. using the shock machines to try and get her heart beat back.

"why- WHY IS NO ONE LISTENING TO ME?!" haechan shouted through his tears trying to get the attention of the nurses around him but it seemed like he was invisible. like everything that was happening around him was in 2x speed.

"240" the doctor repeated, and a stronger shock took place, making Chaerin's body jump, but she never woke up. her eyes were shut.

he watched the nurses try again and again, doing the most they could. but it finally stopped. with the shake of the head, the nurse looked towards the doctor.

"Park Chaerin, time of death 5:47am"

"haechan" Chaerin's voice said, above a mere whisper as she felt him holding onto her hand tightly, too tightly.

"yo, wake up...you're hurting me" she whined, trying to shake him awake but she struggled to sit up from the hospital bed.

"wake...up....wake up" he mumbled under his breath making her furrow her eyebrows in confusion. she could tell he was having a bad dream, one about her

"haechan!" she shouted once more, trying to take her hand away from his grip

"haechan I'm awake just...open your eyes please!" she begged, wincing slightly at the pain on her hand from his tight grip.

"haech-"

his head immediately shot up, shaky breaths trying to be steadied by him as he touched the could sweat on his forehead

"haechan?" her voice said, quietly, scaring to make him frightened. he slowly turned his head towards her, as if he was in disbelief, and quite truly he was. his dream-more like nightmare- felt so real, too real.

"chaerin?" he asked above a whisper, looking at her with his glassy red eyes, his eye bags making him look more sick and tired, the red hues on his face making him look worn out. she knew he was going through a hard time and she couldn't help but feel guilty.

"come here, I miss you" she said, slowly tugging on his hand and he stood up, making sure his movements weren't too fast, going to the side of her bed and pushing the remote controlled button to elevate her bed, making her go into in a slanted sitting position.

"you're awake" he whispered, sitting onto her bed beside her and she nodded, letting out a small chuckle as she watched him through her own teary eyes scan her features.

"I missed you too" he whispered, moving closer to her and hugging her as soft as he could

"I'm sorry" she cried into his shoulder, not knowing what else to say to take away the pain he was feeling emotionally as he shushed her, using his hand to caress the back of her head like he usually did

"don't be...you're back now, that's all that matters" he said, trying his best not to sob but he couldn't hold back his own cries.

"I missed you so much I....I thought you...I thought I'd never see you again!" he cried and she cried with him, comforting him as best as she could.

"I know...I'm sorry i put that on you" she said, sniffing and wiping her eyes.

"I love you chae....don't leave me" he begged and she sighed, creating some distance between them as she tried to look into his eyes, biting her lips which were slowly beginning to regain their natural colour

"I'm not going to leave you channie, I love you too" she whispered with a smile playing on her lips and haechan smiled back with a small chuckle.

"I promise I won't make the pasta salty ever again" he joked making her laugh, and eventually the people who were outside had heard the laughter and entered the room, softening their eyes as they saw the two cuddling up against each other.

"how are you feeling chae?" mark asked softly, from the door, not wanting to interrupt their moment

"better, my stomach hurts but...it should go away soon" she said with a positive smile and he nodded

"unfortunately hospital food is the only thing you can have for another two days" her mother said with a small smile on her face and Chaerin turned to haechan with a smirk

"hospital dinner date then?" she asked making him giggle

"God, I really fucking missed you" haechan said with a bright smile covering his face, pulling her into another hug, wanting to cherish this moment with her forever.