Chapter Twenty

The bed creaks as Raia lays on her back

The bed creaks as Raia lays on her back. She stares at the ceiling for a few moments, then sits up. Her hair is still damp from the shower, brushing against her bare skin. She wears nothing but undergarments.

She places her hand on her tummy and strokes the gauze that is placed around her wound. The healing wound was slightly reopened after Nathan accidentally hit it. But it doesn't look that bad. Her estimate is that the broken skin will recover in about two days.

She tightens her fists. A healer who is unable to heal herself may be the most ridiculous thing she has ever seen. How frustrating. What could be the reason behind this unearthly power of hers?

Raia looks at her palm with scorn.

She rises from her bed, grabs the garment lying on it, and slips into it. It's a long-sleeved charcoal gray dress with a rounded collar that falls to her knees. As she is brushing her hair, a soft knock comes at her door.

Her brows furrow. Is it time to set out on a new mission?

Raia walks barefoot to the door and opens it.

Her mouth opens in surprise. "Miss Sonnet?"

Sonnet smiles at her, dressed in a crimson coat, the uniform of the Order's staff, and her blonde hair tied in a bun as usual. She looks at Raia's hair for a moment before smiling again.

"Do you mind if I come in?" Sonnet says, and Raia nods.

Sonnet walks into her room as Raia stares at her, puzzled. The woman does not appear to be summoning her to the Bishop's office. What exactly is she doing here?

"How's your wound?" Sonnet asks, coming to a halt in front of her, and adds in a low voice, "Nathan informed me what had happened. Don't worry, I already scolded him."

Raia's eyes widened slightly. For a brief moment, a feeling of revulsion arises within her. Is Sonnet attempting to be nice to her out of pity or out of a sense of obligation as an official in their organization? But as she meets the woman's gaze, she is surprised by the gentleness in her blue eyes. They appear soothing in such a way that an unfamiliar sensation brushes past within her.

Raia takes a sudden step back.

"What's wrong?" Sonnet says, looking a little bemused.

"Nothing," Raia murmurs, lowering her head. "I already took care of my wound." She gives her a quick smile.

Sighing, Sonnet takes Raia's hairbrush and gently presses her hands against the girl's shoulders, pushing her down.