Chapter Twenty Four

A blinding light greets them as soon as they enter the grand hall of Arcelio Palace

A blinding light greets them as soon as they enter the grand hall of Arcelio Palace. Their jaws drop as they scan the dazzling interior, which features pristine white walls and gold-gilded furniture. Whitestone pillars run in rows along the hall between stained-glass windows. The floor is embellished with red carpet and a crystal chandelier hangs from a beautifully carved domed ceiling, illuminating the whole place.

Nobles swarm the magnificent hall, men in suits and women in elaborate gowns and fascinator hats chatting and drinking teas. Dozens of white-clothed tables sit in the area, each holding a platter of foods. Facing them from a distance is a sweeping grand staircase lined with historic portraits of royal family members.

A soft melody is playing in the background, synchronizing with the merry chatters and laughter that fills the place. Elegant aromas waft through the hall, blending with the cold air.

Raia scans the area, looking for a specific person, but she can't find him, so she takes in her surroundings instead. She's never been in a place like this before, and she's never even met or seen the ruler of her home country. But Raia doesn't feel at ease in this place; she feels exposed as if she's standing naked in front of so many people. One of them may no longer be a human and is only pretending to be one. The mere thought of it reminds her that she should never trust anyone, stranger or not.

"I can't believe we're inside the Arcelio Palace, home of the Panacea King," Sunshine says as she looks around, her face as bright as the chandelier.

Nathan stifles a sneeze but fails to do so.

"Bless you," Raiden and Sunshine speak in unison.

Nathan places his hands on his hips. "All right, let's hide in the corner and become invisible."

The guests cast a glance at the Aragons and never look back. The king appears to have already ordered the people to ignore their presence.

"It really feels so good to be ignored," Nathan says, leaning against a pillar with a bitter smile on his face.

Raia eyes Nathan with curiosity. The man is behaving strangely. He's always that bubbly person, but it appears that he's faking it today, as he comes out sulky.

"Don't say or do anything stupid to them, or you can just go back to the headquarters," Sunshine says, a note of firmness in her voice.

"Don't worry, I won't. I just want to see their reactions when they see me," Nathan responds with a shrug. "And I know you'll need my strength to fight demons."

"Nah, we don't need your power. I'm even stronger than you."

Nathan snorts. "Let's just ask Raia who's stronger after we finish this mission."

Sunshine grins. "By all means."

Raiden shoots Raia an apologetic look. "I'm sorry you have to get involved in their antics. They're always like this."