LXXI. A WARM COMFORT

A WARM COMFORT!

JULY 1978

• • • •

Sitting around the dining table in Lux Manor, Holland and Jeremiah laughed, as they high-fived, taking most of Maxine and Oberon's Monopoly money.

"I hate this game." Oberon frowned.

"I'm rather enjoying it." Jeremiah smirked at his son.

"So, Holland," Elara started, "How's the married life treating you?"

"It's been alright," Holland nodded, "To be honest, the biggest adjustment is Mopsy."

"The look on you and Reggie's faces when Walburga presented her." Maxine chuckled.

"I'm surprised you haven't let her free." Delphina said.

"Well, Reg and I tried that," Holland explained, "But she has nowhere else to go and wants to stay with us. We don't make her do anything around the house unless she volunteers and we let her go anywhere she wants to. The moment she wants to be free, we'll present her with clothes."

"I applaud your kind heart." Elara smiled.

"When do we get to see the house in all it's glory?" Delphina wondered.

"Once we're completely done unpacking and decorating." Holland answered, rolling the dice.

"Well, we can't to see it." Jeremiah smiled.

"It's your honeymoon soon, isn't it?" Oberon asked.

Holland nodded, "In two weeks."

"Where are you going?"

"I don't know." Holland laughed as her two grandmothers took their turn.

Maxine smirked, "I know." She teased in a sing-song voice.

Holland turned to her, "Tell me."

"No," Maxine chuckled, "But you'll like it."

"Right, then if you won't tell me, then Grandpa and I shall take all of your money."

"Hey! Don't punish me for her actions!" Oberon exclaimed, making his family laugh.

***

Holland let out a soft sigh as she sat in her bed, reading Wuthering Height, the time on her watch reading eleven o'clock in the evening.

A soft knock on the door of the master bedroom made the girl look up from her book, seeing Regulus opening the door, looking rather shaken.

"Hey." She said, looking at the boy in concern.

"Hey," Regulus repeated with a tight smile, swallowing thickly, "Can-Can I stay in here tonight?" He asked, "I know we normally sleep in separate rooms, but-"

"Come here." Holland told him, putting her book down on the bedside table, lifting up the duvet and holding out her arms for him.

Regulus gave his wife a thankful smile, before closing the door behind him and getting under the covers as Holland embraced him in a comforting hug.

"What happened?" Holland whispered, as the boy rested his head on his chest.

"Nightmare." Regulus muttered, as the older girl played with his hair.

"Another one?"

"Yeah."

"You want to talk about it?"

"No."

"That's okay."

They lay in a comfortable silence.

"How was seeing your family today?" The younger of the two asked.

"It was good. Max went with me and we played Monopoly," Holland nodded, "Mother and Grandpa Theo weren't there, though."

"Shame."

"Max knows where we're going for our honeymoon, by the way."

"That little snake!" Regulus exclaimed, making Holland laugh, "Has she told you where?"

Holland shook her head, "But apparently we'll like it, wherever we're going."

"I hope it's somewhere warm," Regulus said, "But not too warm," He added, "I am still British."

Holland laughed, shaking her head at her husband, "That would be nice. Although somewhere cold and snowy would be lovely, too."

"Packing when we don't know where we're going will suck." Regulus groaned.

"Especially when we just got all of our clothes out of the boxes and into the wardrobe." The older girl agreed.

Regulus looked up at her, "Holly?"

"Hm?"

"You wanna plait my hair?"

"Oh, I would love to."