twenty-four

"I'm aware I haven't known you for a particularly long time...but I'm still confident in saying that this may just be the worst idea of your entire life."

"It's going to be fine."

"How sure are you on that?"

"A solid eighty percent...okay a solid seventy; but it's going to be fine."

Fae responded with a simple hum of uncertainty while climbing onto the speeder bike behind Mando, who turned to speak to Toro.

"Get ready," Mando said, although he didn't actually wait for Toro to get ready before he had already started up the bike and sped away.

The plan was relatively simple. Ride the speeders towards the target, blind said target every so often, and then that was that.

Relatively simple.

Relatively.

Simple.

How could it possibly go wrong-

Fae didn't actually hear the scream which left her throat due to the deafening sound of air whipping past her ears as she was catapulted away from the ground. She could barely even tell how high she was flung, the darkness of night taking advantage of her temperamental eyesight to the point where, to her, it was as if she had been thrown into an utter void of nothingness with no clue as to when she'd reach the ground again, if ever.

But that was just how it felt to Fae. In reality, she was only thrown a few metres upwards; she didn't even have time to think about closing her mouth before it was filled with sand — which she'd proceeded to spit out as if it were pure cyanide.

"Ew, ugh- disgusting...Mando-" Fae groaned as she forced her battered body into a sitting position, waving her hands around in-front of herself like a blind man,  "Mando, where are you — oh fucking hell-"

Fae's sight went from pitched black to blinding white within half a second, causing her to physically recoil as though she had just been punched in the jaw. Once the initial shock had worn off, the flash charge acting as the brightest moon you could imagine, Fae was able to see Mando stood up straight a couple of feet away from her.

"You idiot, get down!" In all honesty, Fae didn't consider how throwing herself straight into a solid figure of beskar would hurt a terrible amount — she also didn't consider the fact that she wasn't wearing beskar, and a blaster shot would easily rip straight through her — unlike for Mando.

Luckily for her, though, only one of these two things happened, as Mando was quick to flip the two of them over to ensure that any shots hit him instead.

"I'm the idiot, Fae? Really? Me? You're going to get yourself killed you stupid-" Mando's 'fatherly' rant was cut short when a shot did inevitably collide cleanly with the armour on his back — him having to shoot his hand out to steady himself in order to not crush Fae with his weight, but he did attempt to appear as lifeless as possible.

"Yes, you," Fae retorted firmly, shoving on his shoulder in an attempt to move him away, but he purposely stayed exactly where he was.

"Stop, stop, stop," He said hastily, "Play dead, stop moving."

"What?"

"Play. Dead," Mando repeated, quietly yet firmly, leading Fae to finally stop moving.

"You know she can't hear us, right?" Fae whispered sarcastically.