Chapter 25: Debrief

She rubbed at her eyes, stifling a yawn as she worked away at her computer. She could feel the full-body ache that accompanied recharging her well, and the reduced ability to perceive light. It was why she got these special glasses that assisted her eyes during these moments. More than anything she wanted to just lock her door and pass out at her desk, but long experience had taught her that at moments like this, there would always be some kind of crisis to resolve first. Fortunately, she knew what said problem would be this time around. It wouldn't be the first time it had happened after all.

Unable to stand being in the chair a moment longer, she got up stretched herself out as best she could. It helped alleviate some of the aches, but it was only a temporary solution. She would need a solid ten hours of sleep before she felt 100% again.

After a few moments of stretching and massaging of her muscles, she sat back down and went back to work. It was about a half-hour later when she heard her door open then close. She stopped typing, took off her glasses, and massaged the bridge of her nose as she spun around in her seat.

"Would it ever kill you to just knock for once? I nearly have a heart attack every time you do that, and I know for a fact you've scared several nurses half to death as well. If this keeps up, I'll not be surprised if a ghost legend starts to crop up eventually. A few are convinced you're a phantom at this point anyway." she said glaring at the figure with her tired bloodshot eyes.

The Hunter merely shrugged, "Let them think what they like, it'll just help me in the long run. Though I do apologize for scaring both them and you, I don't mean to add to their stress."

Dr. Okimi just sighed, "Well what can I help you with? No beating around the bush, I've got my hand full as is." she huffed.

The Hunter pulled out her chair from behind her desk and sat in it before speaking. "I wanted to know if the child will be okay, and where you hid my blood this time around," he said folding his arms and leaning back in the chair.

"I don't know, despite the state her body is in, she isn't in any immediate danger. Until the results for the detailed tests come back, all I can say with confidence is that she needs rest, water, food, and lots of exercise. She's horribly malnourished and has suffered severe muscle atrophy. As for your blood, I have it with me this time. I expected you to show up eventually, so I didn't bother trying to hide it this time." She said, pulling out a sealed vial of blood.

"Beats me how you only manage to stay passed out an hour or two before waking back up. Anyone else would be out for hours at least after being healed by me," she muttered.

The Hunter got up and plucked the vial out of her hands before stepping back and turning towards the door.

"When are you going to stop all this? This is the third time I've healed you, and the third time you've broken out of the hospital, if we weren't so busy, I'd have had someone guard your room this time around. In fact, if I see you here again, I'll guard the room myself, responsibilities be damned!" She snapped at him.

The Hunter paused at the door, then turned slightly to face her. "I'll be sure not come here then, but I'll only stop when I am no longer needed." and with that he left the room, closing the door silently behind him.

Dr. Okimi sat glaring at the door for another few seconds before letting out a sigh and turning back to her computer. She needed to get these reports wrapped up and sent, then she could finally pass out on the military cot she kept pressed up against one corner of her office. Just as she was settling back into her seat, a high-pitched beeping and red light started flashing. She looked over the wall by the door and she saw that Operating Room 32 was putting out an emergency summons to her.