Chapter 51: Just a Few Adjustments

Chapter 51

Just a Few Adjustments

My mother was fanning herself while looking about the cave. She kept shaking her head at the assortment of werewolf walking around in their three different forms. We all sat around her on rocks covered in furs.

"You knew about this," she stated plainly. "I know, you knew about this Quint."

My dad squeezed her hand. "I'll explain what my real job is to you later."

Pursing her lips, my mom's head snapped toward her husband. "Real job? Oh, good lord," She started to unbutton her coat. "I think it's getting hotter in here."

"Do you want something to drink, Karen?" asked Xavier.

"Water," she glanced around. "Not for a river or stream preferably."

The alpha chuckled. "How about from a bottle?"

"Oh yes, please," she breathed.

He sent a werewolf off to bring her one.

My dad leaned over to me. "You and Titus can go. Once she calms down a bit, I'll explain things to her."

"'kay." I grabbed my boyfriend's hand and slipped away.

We went to Titus's room and collapsed in the pit.

Groaning, I rolled into his chest. "She didn't take it well, Titus."

He laughed in my ear and rubbed my back. "She didn't faint at least. I was worried there for a moment when the color drained out of her face."

"I don't considered that to be positive," I muttered.

"There's been far worse reactions." He unzipped my coat. "Take some of this off."

"It's cold, though." I pressed into him. There were piles of snow in the hallway from the sky holes, so the cave really wasn't all that warm. "I don't understand how you can be half naked."

"It's a little cold." He put a fur over our legs. "But I run hot."

I nodded and wiggled out of my coat. Titus tossed it out of the way. He rolled onto his back, and I placed my head on his chest. He started to play with my hair. I was still cold and tugged the blankets around my shoulder. Titus's started to move around, and slide off his shorts. I felt his fur pressed against my cheek soon after.

"Better."

"Yes." I nodded, letting my eyes closed. "Much."  

***

"Well I say, this is different?"

I flinched and opened my eyes. My mother standing above us staring at Titus. My boyfriend sat up with his ear splayed to the side. He smiled, but his fangs didn't look very friendly.

Titus shrugged. "This is the real me."

"Real you?" My mother glanced back at her husband.

"They're born as werewolf, Karen. The pups you saw early are too young to know how to shift."

"Oh," she said, trying to sound positive. "Yes, makes sense then." She wandered about the room.

Titus shifted back to human right when my mother looked his way.

Jumping, she clutched her chest. She gave him a precarious look. Her mouth opened, but quickly closed. Shaking her head, she went back to examining the interior of the room.

Titus slipped back into his shorts.

"Not exactly homey." She picked up a lid to a plastic bin that was cracked. A large section was missing.