Chapter TwentySeven

Sage slams the car door closed after sliding; who I'm assuming is Tom, into the backseat. Then he turns his focus on us. I don't think Ivy has the notice the obvious anger radiating off of Sage as she continues towards the vehicle, her only focus on the hope that we don't have to walk home.

"Ivy! What are you doing?" Sage's voice booms across the small distance separating us, gaining the locals attention. Ivy finally seems to recognise that the man is Sage and I sense the falter in her step as she walks besides me.

"Oh! Sage, Hi! Was that Tom?" she questions, ignoring Sage's question. If this was her attempt at distracting him, it isn't working.

Sage pays no mind to Ivy's question, crossing his arms and keeping his eyes firmly on us, his gaze briefly scans the area around us before focusing on us again, mainly me.

"Get in" he mutters as we make it to the car. Ivy gets into the backseat, her head down. Sage guides me, his arm not physically touching me but wrapped around my form in the air. He holds the door open as I climb in before slamming it shut and jumping into the passenger seat, Gabe in the drivers seat.

I gently shove Ivy away from me as she basically sits on my left leg but she only shoves back harder and pushes me back against the door. I look in her direction, my eyes moving past her as slight movement can be seen by Tom in the seat beside her.

His eyes are closed as his head flops about, nearly resting on Ivy's shoulder. I don't know how I didn't smell the scent coming off of him earlier. The metallic smell of blood mixed with urine takes over the car; his bare arms are black and blue. The twitching of his fingers gathers my attention and its the first time I notice that he has no finger nails, all of them pulled from the nailbed.

I look away quickly, the sight making me slightly queasy.  The realisation that my father and brother had most likely had some part in it is enough to make me feel light headed.

I make eye contact with Sage in the mirror, his arm resting on the car door, the window down to bring in some fresh air. He's attention focusing partially on Tom through the side mirror.

Whether it's the sight and smell of Tom or my body being unused to the motions of a vehicle but by the time we drive up the driveway, I'm sure I'm green in the face.

"C'mon" Sage grunts as he opens the door, Ivy and I scampering out. The cold, dewy air on my skin instantly calming my stomach.

Gunner opens the front door, the limp in his leg almost unnoticeable now. Everyone from inside gathers at the door, some of the men spilling out onto the lawn.

Gunner gives a nod to Sage almost as a 'welcome back' before going to the car. Groaning is heard from within the car as he attempts to unbuckle Tom and get him inside the house.

Gabe jumps down from the Jeep and comes around the side to help Gunner.

They manage to pull Tom from the Jeep, his eyes closed and legs limp. Gunner and Gabe each have one of his arms slung over their shoulders.

"Take him to his room, have the nurses look at him" Sage says from behind me.

Tom must of recognised Sage's voice; his head twitching in our direction, his eyes trying to peel open from the swollenness. Blood shot eyes become visible, scanning the area before looking over my shoulder at Sage.

Then his eyes turn to me, his pupils widen in what appears to be horror before he falls to the ground, legs splaying out while wailing. Gunner and Gabe drop his arms, unprepared for the fall.

"She's one of them! Dove Amor! Evil!" Tom starts screaming. Gunner and Gabe attempt to grab Tom and take him inside but before they have the chance, Tom's eyes switch and his whole demeanour changes demonically.