13 Prisoner

I have no other homeland but you.

Albert Camus

Him

"I want the accusation of theft to be lifted from her."

"That can be done without a problem."

"But Noura still stays at the palace," he declares in a way that leaves no room for arguments.

His vizier looks at him helplessly, clearly tired of his reckless demands. "How can we do that without a reason to keep her here?"

"That's my wish, this is enough of a reason."

"But my lord--"

"She stays." He rises from his seat, going to stand by the window and watch the sun peek up from behind the horizon. "Noura stays here, in Baghdad, with me. If you've to cut heads for it, then do so. But she will not leave."

The old man sighs in exasperation. "She's a free woman, not a slave. Forcing her won't be appropriate."

"Then I'll marry her," he announces smoothly, almost joyously. "But if she doesn't want that," he turns back around, smiling sinfully, "then I'll find a way to make her agree to it."

Her

Her

"We found the culprit behind the theft."

Noura wearily looks at Ameer Zakariya before turning her gaze to Adam standing at one side, having already his eyes on her. When their pupils meet, they fixate each other, and she reads the lie in there. They've found no one. How can they when it's the caliph himself plotting? They just want to extinguish this fire now before it gets out of hand.

"Who is he?" Eskander besides her asks eagerly.

It's only them four in the room and she's sure if she was alone with Adam, she'd be running her tongue loose at him.

The Ameer shakes his head. "Whoever, Eskander, he's for the caliph to deal with. We've put him in prison until he's investigated. Then, Al Shafay will decide what to do with him."

"Allow me to interrogate him, my Ameer," Eskander requests, and Noura feels bad for him at his oblivion. "I want to know why he'd target my family like this."

"It probably isn't anything personal. It seems like he stole the seal and got away with it. Then to save himself of the consequences, he discarded it the first chance he got, which coincidentally happened to be at your house," Zakariya dismisses his concerns. "All we've to know is that why he stole the seal, and I've already assigned this task to Adam. So you don't have to worry about it anymore."

"Pardon me, but you're taking it too lightly, Ameer," Eskander protests. "You're disregarding the fact that my family suffered at the hands of this man."