A Heated Day

Percy shut the door to Rachel's apartment and sighed. He just kissed Rachel after he'd been officially dating Annabeth for six years! She'd even began planning out a house layout for them in New Rome... He was ashamed of himself, but he'd honestly liked the kiss. Her lips were so red, and soft to his. Annabeth generally only kissed him before combat, but now that Gaea and Kronos were down there wasn't much combat.

He put his head in his hands, and ran his fingers through his dark hair. What the Hades was he gonna do? He looked around and grabbed his swimsuit, changing quickly. He grabbed his bag of ambrosia, food of the gods, super delicious too. Rachel would need less than one square, as she was mortal.

He left again, his head swimming with confusion, shock, bliss, and worry. He really wanted to kiss Rachel again- "Percy! Thank the gods, I've been looking for you!" It was Annabeth.

Annabeth smiled, her curly blonde hair in a side ponytail. "Remember, you said you'd come over and see my dad's new plane this weekend? Time to go!"

"...Right! I'll just go tell Rachel I gotta go, kay?" He asked after a pause.

Annabeth put a hand on her hip, oh no... "Rachel? Um, what were you doing with Rachel that you didn't invite ME to?" She demanded. "I was just hanging out with her and we were gonna play volleyball but she fell and cut her foot on a rock so I was just bringing her some ambrosia to heal it, but only a tiny bit!" He rushed out. Annabeth was not someone to be messed with, no matter how pretty she looked!

Her face was a steely mask. "And why was I not invited on this...Trip to the beach?"

She may have been daughter of Athena, goddess of wisdom, but Percy wasn't so sure that applied to wisdom in relationships. She was acting kind of controlling! Although she was super pretty looking, she was daughter of the owl woman. Her collared blue shirt was over a white tank top, and she wore short blue jeans and sneakers. This was quite the change from her classic Camp Half-Blood shirt and long jeans.

"I was going to, but Rachel said we hung out all year together and that she never got any alone time, so yeah." He said trying to reason with her.

Annabeth's grey eyes turned stormy. "And why would she want alone time, huh Percy?" She didn't give her a chance to reply, and stomped off toward the beach, blond ponytail waving gently, like a yellow sea. Percy went after her, he had to keep the two apart at the moment...

Yet when he got there the two girls were in a catfight already. "What do you mean I want him for myself?" Rachel said, arms crossed, half leaning on her right leg. "You wouldn't let Percy invite me! Also, you're the reason he forgot about my dad's new plane, and he promised!" Annabeth hissed.

"Did you ever think maybe he's sick of you?I mean, ten years with one annoying, controlling, perfectionist girlfriend is too long! MAYBE, Percy kissed me because he regretted dating you, and wanted me to know it. Or just possibly in some alternate universe, Perseus Jackson doesn't want to spend the rest of his heroic days with someone like you. Someone who always acts like he's stupid, not as good as you, or even as good of a leader!" Rachel said angrily.

Annabeth looked shocked, and turned toward me, her face pleading. "She's lying, you didn't kiss her, right?" She asked. Percy didn't reply, just opened and closed his mouth like a beached fish. "Right?" She asked again. He looked at her hands. "I did kiss Rachel, she just..." He trailed off.

Tears welled in Annabeth's eyes and she ran down the beach, "I see what matters to you!" She said shakily. Percy turned to Rachel, and she hobbled forward. "See? She's a control freak!" She acted like that was nothing, when it was quite possibly them breaking up. "Yeah." He said emptily, "Maybe."

Rachel sat down ungracefully, toppling over almost. "Got that ambrosia? My leg hurts like the fields of punishment have been installed upon it!" She smiled, and Percy smiled a little back. He handed her a tiny square, and watched her savor it. "Mm, tastes like pie!" She said licking her lips. Her gash closed, and the slight burn on her nose faded. Ambrosia really was magic. Percy didn't reply, just looked out at the empty expanse of white beach Annabeth had disappeared down.

"I have to go." He said suddenly, still staring off where Annabeth had gone, "I did promise Annabeth."

"Ugh see? She has so much control on your life! I just want one day alone with you Percy... You were the first one who didn't think I was mentally ill. I don't want to lose you to stupid wise-girl! Please don't go after her, I'm begging you Percy!" She pleaded standing up to look at him.

Although it was against his better judgement, Percy nodded. Annabeth was mad at him already, why make both girls hate him? He led her down to the sea shore, and sat down, cross legged. He tugged Rachel down with him and pointed at the calm waves. "I wish I was calm as Dad. He seems happy today."

Rachel gazed at the glistening teal waves, as they gently lapped at her feet. She was silent for a long time, but finally said, "About the whole kiss thing earlier... Was that because you are tired of Annabeth?"

Percy looked at the curls framing her face. "I dunno, can we not talk about that right now?" He was really bad at not liking two girls...

Rachel flopped back onto the sand, looking at the grey clouds lined in pink and orange. "Kay. Hey look, it's a turtle cloud!" Percy glanced at it. "Uh huh." He laid down too, and pointed out a star. This is what he really liked about Rachel, she could let go of things easy, unlike Annabeth.

Although this sounded like a date a couple might take, Percy saw it as just hanging out with the scene they were given, but Rachel did take it as a date. She couldn't shake the feel of his gaze as he touched her lips. She hated hormones, but they were part of life.

When Percy stood up to leave, Rachel sighed. "It's the ending of Summer Percy, and I decided you and I should go to camp late this year, cause I want to go on a quest with you!"

Percy raised an eyebrow, "But we need a prophecy to go on a quest."

"I'm the oracle you silly bundle of seaweed! Also, we can just go hunt a monster or two, right?"

Percy laughed. "We need Chiron's permission, plus, I don't have Riptide!" Rachel blinked, "Liar!"

"Fine, fine we can go, let's look into some monsters tomorrow, sound good?" He knew he wasn't gonna be able to change her mind.

"Sounds great!" Rachel said, standing up and waving as Percy just walked into the ocean. It was much faster for him to get home by sea than land, especially since his dad was the sea itself.

Rachel silently did her happy dance, her genius plan was succeeding! All that was left now was to make sure Annabeth was occupied with something else. If she came along the entire time would be ruined. As an almost adult, Rachel thought it appropriate she should have a boyfriend. But she didn't want anyone but Percy, so Percy she shall have!

Not to mention, he seemed to have some feelings for her in any case. Friends don't kiss one another on the lips! She shook her head, blushing furiously. Love sucked... But it sucked lollipops.