Chapter 22

I was half asleep when my phone started ringing.

"Sanjana," Rohan's muffled voice reached my ears.

"Answer," I grumbled and answered the phone, placing it near my ear.

"Hello,"

"Sanjana, it's Swetha the officer in charge for the acid-attack victim,"

All my sleep vanishes in thin air as I sit upright.

"Yes Swetha,"

"I'm sorry to disturb you at this time but she's asking for you," she said.

"I'll be there soon, give me some time," I said and hastily get up.

I pull over a random hoodie from the chair and write a note for Rohan and drive to the hospital.

I run inside the hospital, already out of breath clearly indicating my lack of exercise, to find Swetha sitting there.

"Hi, I'm Sanjana,"

"Hi, she's inside with her mother,"

I just nod in acknowledgement before knocking on the door and entering it. There she sits, the girl with her bandaged face, her hand clasped around her mother's hands as she nodded and spoke in hushed tone.

"Hi Sunidhi,"

"Hi Sanjana di,"

"You asked for me?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to see you and let you know that I trust you and that in thankful that you accepted my case and continued even when they harmed your husband," she said slowly, the bandages around her face making it difficult for her.

"Nothing will stop me from winning this case, okay sweetheart? And thank you for trusting me," I said.

I sat down and chatted for some time before walking out.

"I'm so happy in seeing my wife after two weeks," a man dressed casually, a cast in his hand as he hugged Swetha.

"Jay, I missed you so much," she said as a lone tear rolled down her cheek.

Maybe it was their moment or maybe it was their love but I felt something deep in my chest. It was like a painful jab.

As if noticing my presence they both broke away, Swetha flushed red as Jay kept his arm around her.

"Jay, this is the lawyer I was talking about,"

"Ah, nice to meet you Sanjana, I'm ACP Jay and this is my wife,"

"I'm so sorry ma'am, it's just that we both met each other after a week--"

"Nonsense Swetha, I'm neither your senior nor your relative, you don't need to be so flushed," I said.

"Yes dumdum, and there's no crime in missing someone's partner," Jay said as he kissed her forehead.

"I'll be leaving now, I hope you have a good day...or night," I said and rushed to my car.

I was very sleepy, it was raining and way too cold and I was shivering. I was also driving slowly since the roads were very slippery.

My phone started ringing and luckily my phone was connected to the car bluetooth.

"Ha bolo Rohan,"

"Where are you?"

"I'm on the way back," I said.

"Drive safely please,"

"Ha Rohan," I said as I shook my head.

I didn't notice a car speeding in front of me and before I could do anything it hit my car, sending it toppling over the edge.