43 || goodbye

alexa, play can I exist by missio

DAY 43

        James stood quietly next to Amelia inside the confinement of the elevator, listening to the faint sound of it humming as they whisked upwards. It was impossible not to notice Amelia's obvious growing anxiety, and despite having his own, his entire focus was on the fact that she wouldn't stop fidgeting with the watch around her tiny wrist. After the events of yesterday, what she did for him, he felt as though he owed it to her to worry about her well-being now. 

        "Talk to me," he pleaded faintly, observing the way her jaw clenched as she stared straight ahead at the elevator doors. 

        "I'm not sure what to say," Amelia laughed half-heartedly, trying her best to keep the tears from welling up in her eyes and falling down her cheeks. 

        Her hazel eyes were accompanied by dark bags this morning, so dark that even concealer had a difficult time trying to obscure the proof that she hadn't slept at all last night. How could she? The man she had fallen for and been around every single day for the past forty-three days was about to risk his life at the hands of Hydra. Despite accomplishing an impossible feat during their session yesterday, Amelia still had an uneasy feeling settling inside of her stomach. 

        "I don't want to leave you like this," James admitted in a whisper, his fingers grazing against her hand that hung limply by her side. 

        "Do you think they'll know?" she wondered out loud, blinking away the water that had begun to blur her vision. "That you'll be pretending?"

        Perhaps it was the plan that made her feel sick to her stomach. The thought of James surrendering himself and acting as though he was under their control again if they happened to say his trigger words made Amelia nauseous. It was risky

        "I'm going to do everything that I can to make sure that they don't know," he assured her gently. 

        "And then you'll come back." Amelia's voice sounded unsure. 

        "I'll come back." 

        She nodded her head a few times, almost too many times, as she processed the situation a bit more in her head. Before her mind could spiral out of control, she felt James' hand slide into her own, making her finally glance over at his concerned eyes. 

        "They'll see," Amelia murmured, looking down at their intertwined hands. 

        "I don't care. Do you?"