29

tw// fighting, toxic behavior

love. she'd always been afraid of how it would make her feel— the thought of giving herself wholeheartedly to someone scared her so much that devyn never let herself truly feel it.

maybe it was the commitment issues, or maybe it finally dawned on her that she was in love with her best friend. the same best friend that consoled her when her first boyfriend broke up with her and held her hand at her dad's funeral.

george felt safe, he was safe. but she was still afraid. her conversation with dream only furthered her doubts, that if she finally let love consume her, there'd be no going back.

it was time for devyn to face her biggest fears: rejection and a broken heart.

pacing outside of his office door, dev bites her nails nervously, on the verge of tears.

"are you going in?" sapnap asks as he passes by her in the hall. "he's not streaming, if you were wondering."

she didn't respond.

"dev? hello?"

she stops pacing. "huh? uh— yeah."

"you okay? you're treading into the carpet," he grabs her shoulders, holding her still.

"yeah i'm good, i'm good. sorry," she whispers, not meeting his eyes.

"okay, let me know if you need anything," sapnap says skeptically, worried about the state his friend was in.

"wait, sapnap. i'm really struggling so i just need you to hear me out. i love george, but i don't think he feels the same. he put his career before me, which is justified but i wish he would've done something about what happened at disney. he just put it to bed, and it just doesn't feel right to me anymore."

"wow. that is really heavy, okay. i'm sorry i'm so awful at this. if you think you need some space maybe that's what's best for you. but george is my best friend and i don't want to see him hurt. but you're a really good friend of mine too. the point is, you need to do what's best for you. even if that's breaking george's heart into like a million pieces. me and dream will be here to pick them up. though i will ignore you for a week out of solidarity for george."

devyn took a deep breath, knocking on the door. george opens the door, smiling.

"were you talking to sapnap in the hall?"

"yeah. can i come in?"

he pulls the door open, giving her room to step in.

"are you okay? you look a little pale."

"yeah i'm fine i just wanted to talk to you about something."

george's smile fades. "is something wrong?"

"i- i want to take a break."

"you're," he pauses, "breaking up with me?"

"not breaking up," she reaches for his hand, but he pulls away. "just taking a break. i think i need to go home for a bit."

"why? did something happen?"

"i think we rushed into this too fast, george. please understand."

"understand? we've been best friends for years. you agreed to make this work. is this not what you wanted? why would you jeopardize our entire relationship if you weren't sure?"

"i can have my doubts, george. this is what i'm talking about. you're so toxic and never think about anyone else but yourself. this relationship goes two ways, you agreed to it too, and you knew there was a possibility that it wouldn't work out. you made the first move."

"toxic? i'm toxic? what the actual fuck are you talking about. i have been nothing but supportive of you and your career since day one. you said you were all in and now you want a break?"

"supportive of my career? you insulted my coworker the first day you met, and made googly eyes at the receptionist! i'm the one who has been nothing but supportive of your fucking career. your fans insulted me to my face and you didn't do shit about it."

"you said it was fine!"

"obviously it fucking WASN'T!" wiping the tears from her eyes, devyn takes a deep breath. "but you were too invested in your own stupid image to realize that!"

"it's not my fault you're ass at communication. you should've fucking told me. it's not my job to always make sure your feelings are coddled."

devyn couldn't take anymore fighting with george. as much as she loved him, it wasn't healthy for her anymore to continue pushing for a relationship that felt so one-sided to her.

"i'm leaving. and i'm sorry. i wish this would've worked out for us."

she turns and reaches for the doorknob, a little part of her hoping that george would call out for her to stay, but she was met with silence instead. telling herself to breathe, she put one foot in front of the other, walking away from the only ounce of love she'd ever felt in her life.

i do like a dramatic ending

wait who said that