Chapter Sixteen

“I think this is incredible,” Dahlia assured me, as we ate our takeaway sushi from the restaurant around the corner. “Seriously, it’s going to be amazing, I’m certain of it,” she held the chopsticks in her hand and moved a maki role around in the soy sauce before placing the whole thing in her mouth, munching slowly. 

   “I don’t know, I can’t even think of where to begin, how to start this whole thing off?” I grimaced, rubbing at my temples and taking a sip of my miso soup. 

   “We know loads of people, don’t we?” She frowned. 

   “I can’t think of any drummers,” I twitched my mouth, wiping my hands on a napkin before screwing it up and putting it in the plastic bag all of our food came in. 

   “Okay, but guitarist?” She raised her eyebrows and I just nodded, chewing on the inside of my mouth; an awful habit I was yet to have broken. 

   “Well, The Bones have broken up, right?” I asked her, and Dahlia nodded, “I phoned Jimmy and he said that he’d come over one day and jam, or if he feels like it’s too soon for another band, he probably knows someone else who would want to join.” 

   Jimmy was a boy I had gone to junior school with, we’d known each other since we were both six years old, but as we’d gotten older, we’d grown apart. When we were about fifteen, he, his step brother, and two of their friends formed an Indie Rock band called The Bones, and they did pretty well, until they started to disagree on what they wanted to play and decided to split up. The past year or so we’d started bumping into each other at parties, and became pretty good friends again. Lots of people thought I should have gone out with him, but he was more like a brother to me.

   “My God, you’re going to be such hot shots,” Dahlia uttered, making me giggle. 

   “What do you mean?” I grinned. 

   “Everyone in the band is going to be hot! I mean, apart from you, obviously,” she winked and I laughed again. “Jimmy is beautiful,” she stated it, like it was a fact; which it kind of was. 

   He was tall, at least six foot, with short, dark hair. His skin was pale, but his cheeks were often ruddy, making him look constantly embarrassed or as if he’d been playing in the snow for hours. He was always in skinny jeans and t-shirts or button ups fastened all the way up to the collar. Most girls in my year would kill to go out on a date with him, and were jealous of the fact that I probably could, if I really wanted to. 

   “Who else though? I can’t think of anyone,” I shrugged thoughtfully and Dahlia’s eyes narrowed, cocking her head to one side as she mentally ran through everyone in her phone book. 

   “I know!” She exclaimed, sitting up straighter in her seat as she started to pack away the empty plastic packaging left on the table. “Call Freddie?” She suggested. 

   “He’s already in a band, isn’t he?” I replied. 

   “I know, but I’m sure he’d know another bassist, right?” 

   “You’re right!” I nodded, “Okay, I’ll call him.” I took my phone out my bag and opened my contacts, flicking through the list until I found Freddie’s name. “Is he at college?” I checked. 

   “He’d be at lunch,” Dahlia assured me, so I clicked his name and raised the handset to my ear, subconsciously counting the rings which sounded rhythmically before he picked up the call on the other end. 

   “Hello?” He had a deep voice, velvety smooth. “Lana?” 

   “Hi, Freddie!” I grinned, “What’s up?”