Chapter 14

Adelaide walked in a dazed silence up the stairs to the Ravenclaw Tower.

Her mind was running a thousand miles a second, and she was in desperate need of Della and Alexander's advice.

What was the world coming to? Why was this happening to her of all people?

It was a wonder that she managed to get into the common room with only tripping four times.

When her blonde friends caught sight of the redhead, they both gasped and jumped up from the armchairs they had been waiting in.

"Adelaide! What's wrong, what did that idiot, Potter do now?" Della growled.

She had been doing that a lot, Adelaide thought.

"Birdie, talk to us," Alexander urged her.

Shaking her head to clear it of fog a bit before she started to speak, the girl let them guide her to one of the blue couches.

They collectively sank into the cushions.

"Adelaide Violetta Gwenivere Harthwood! You better get talking or else!" Della threatened.

"James asked me to the Ball."

Silence.

"Ah!" Alexander and Adelaide had to cover their ears when the tiny Ravenclaw squealed in joy, bouncing and clapping her hands enthusiastically.

"Merlin's Beard! Sandella, be quiet, will you?" The boy groaned.

Della glared at his use of her full name. "Well, what did you say? Yes, I hope."

Adelaide twiddled her thumbs and frowned down at her lap.

"No."

"What do you mean, no?" Alexander asked with a raised brow.

"I mean that Jaxson already asked me to the Ball and I had said yes," She explained.

"Blaze!" Della screeched.

Adelaide nodded.

"You better start from the beginning, Birdie," Alexander sighed, leaning back in his place on the couch.

**********

One Hour Earlier

Divinations class had just ended, and a crowd of annoyed and exhausted students exited the room and went their separate ways, ready to be done with the week.

Adelaide pulled her bag over her shoulder and began walking along the corridor towards the Courtyard.

It was a beautiful day, puffy white clouds littered the sky, and birds sang from the trees surrounding the castle.

After Astronomy later that evening, she would be finished with her classes for the week.

"Harthwood! Oi, Harthwood!" Someone called her from behind.

Adelaide slowed and turned to make out a tall boy with perfect brown hair coming towards her through the horde.

"Hello, Jaxson," She greeted him kindly.

"Alright, Harthwood?" He grinned at her as he came to a stop next to her.

"Fine, thanks, just on my way out for some fresh air. Care to join me?"

"Smashing. Don't mind if I do. Listen, I have a question for you," Jaxson said, scratching the back of his neck.

"Shoot."

They started off to the Courtyard again.

"You have a date to the Halloween Ball yet?"

"No, not yet," Adelaide said.