62| Beaten and Bruised

ARABELLA'S POV

ARABELLA'S POV

"Rhett— are you all right?" I asked as an overwhelming sense of worry descended on me.

My mind flashed back to his panicked and alarmed state, when he left the school in fear.

"Oh, come on, another guy.. how many more do I have to kill?" I heard Noah say and I glared at him.

Dumbass

"Fuck— I need your help, Arabella." Rhett gritted his teeth in pain, his voice sounded hoarse as though speaking itself was excruciatingly painful.

The cry of pain that came out of his mouth swamped me with a feeling of dread. Just hearing him like this made me paralyse with a sinking feeling, as if someone had punched in my gut.

"What— Oh my god! Rhett,  what happened? Where are you?" I asked frantically, and the only response I got from him was a hiss of pain.

I could see the tense and perplexed expressions on my family's faces from my peripheral vision, but it wasn't my concern at the time.

"Please help—" this time his voice was barely a whisper, pain being the dominant emotion in his voice mixed with fear and helplessness.

The desperation in his voice caused me to stumble back as the feeling of fear overpowered all my senses, my brain stopped comprehending, and my vision began to blur from the tears that welled up in my eyes after hearing the pain in Rhett's voice.

The only thing my mind could make out was the sensation of someone pulling my phone from my grasp. When I looked up, I saw Lucca's concerned expression, and he immediately brought my phone to his ears, speaking something my brain couldn't apprehend.

I kept staring at Lucca, concentrating on his lips, trying to snap out of my daze wanting to make sense in order to make sense of what he was saying. All the while, my mind conjured up every possible scenario in which Rhett could have been harmed.

Just as Lucca hung up the phone, he looked at me in panic as he grabbed my shoulder and shook me to pull me out of the stupor I was holding myself captive in.

"We need to leave right now, he is texting me his location and for god's sake, get yourself together." He said sternly, but the emotion of concern was apparent in his eyes.

I nodded my head, reaching out to his outstretched hand as we quickly turned to leave, but our hysterical movements were halted by Dad, who appeared to be having difficulty controlling his anger.

"Where do you think you two are going? Dad scolded, his eyes critical as he looked at both of us

"Dad, we have to help him, please, dad—" I pleaded in desperation, causing his eyes to become conflicted.

"Uncle he comes to school covered in bruises, and even now he sounded like someone did a good number on him." Lucca said from beside me causing the dread in my stomach to only grow deeper.