Chapter 32

“You’re not going to believe what just happened,” Ryujin says to the person she’s called using the phone that’s docked on the dashboard of her car.

“What happened?” asks Yeji. “Did you meet Chaeryeong”

“Yeah. Apparently, your father wanted her to meet someone who’s also healing. I didn’t know what came over me but the things I said were unbelievable.”

“What do you mean? Unbelievable how?”

“I sounded really confident about what I’ve been through and why I’m doing what I’m doing right now, with you. I think I even channeled Yuna for a bit there.”

“Being confident is a good thing.”

“I guess.”

“Tell me what you said to her.”

Ryujin summarizes her conversation with Chaeryeong, earning positive and encouraging comments from Yeji every now and then.

“I hope she changes her mind,” says Yeji at the end of Ryujin's story.

“I hope so too,” replies Ryujin. “Thank you.”

“For?”

“For being my sunrise.”

Yeji chuckles. “Cheesy Jinnie. You’re welcome. Thank you too.”

“For?”

Ryujin then hears the sound of her own recorded voice, recognizing it to come from the bear. “Stop replaying it. It’s embarrassing.”

“I love it. Thanks for saying all that.”

“You’re welcome.” Ryujin carefully makes a turn to the street she lives in and says, “I’ve arrived home. Gonna hang up now. Talk to you later?”

“Okay. See ya.”

“Love you,” Ryujin says, grinning alone in her car.

“Love you too.”

———————

Yuna looks up from her book when she hears the door opening. “How did it go?” she asks the woman walking inside the house.

“Pretty well. I think all those years of nagging you did finally paid off.”

“What? How so?”

Ryujin retells what happened, taking a seat on the armchair.

“You really said all that?”

“And more. I can’t even remember everything I’ve said but rest assured, I quoted you many times,” says Ryujin.

“I feel accomplished,” jokes Yuna, smiling from her seat.

“You should. I realized how lucky I am. Thanks for sticking with me.”

“You’re most welcome.”

“And to show my gratitude, I’ve decided to grant you that tiny wish you’ve had since forever.”

Yuna raises her eyebrows. “What wish?”

“You’ll see tomorrow. I’ll pick you up after work.” Ryujin then gets up, going to the kitchen to find a snack.

“What wish, Unnie?” asks Yuna, raising her voice from the living room.