Fifteen

Maggie stood in front of the house that Friday had located to belong to Johann and Katerina Parlov, now living in Russia again. She'd flown there in the jet and landed an hour ago, hitching rides to the house.

They had been in Sokovia when they'd destroyed/saved the city. She hadn't emailed them back, hadn't thought of them since deciding she wasn't going to see them again, but she had to know if signing the accords was the right thing to do and the only people she could get an honest answer from were people who were present at the time of some of the events.

Maggie sighed and rang the doorbell, hands in the pockets of Natasha's lucky leather jacket.

The door opened and a little boy stared up at her with wide eyes. Maggie stared back down at him with eyes equally as wide. He had the same blonde hair as Johann and Maggie, though Maggie figured it must be a common shade of blonde considering she and Johann weren't actually related by blood anymore.

He had big brown eyes and he was sucking on a pacifier, indicating he was a toddler, at most.

"Andreas, what did your mama tell you about opening the door without an adult?!" a woman's voice came from inside the house.

Maggie heard footsteps and her breath caught in her throat as Katerina scooped the little boy, Andreas, up onto her hip. She looked up and her face dropped.

"Magdalena?" she said. Her Russian/Sokovian accent was stronger than Maggie's, considering Maggie had lived in America since she was fourteen and had moved in with Natasha at the Avenger compound.

"Hi, Katerina," Maggie said awkwardly.

Maggie took a second to observe her sister. Katerina had brown hair down to her shoulders and it had been made lighter with dye. Her eyes were still the same, but she looked exhausted. For eighteen, she looked a lot older and a lot more troubled than Maggie remembered.

Then again, it had been almost thirteen years since she'd last seen Katerina.

Katerina looked around and then grabbed Maggie's wrist, yanking her inside and closing the door over.

"You shouldn't be here," Katerina said lowly.

"You guys emailed me first," Maggie said.

"Johann did. I told him not to, and now you're here and Johann and his wife are on their way home from shopping and I told Claudia that I wouldn't let Andreas open the door to strangers and now he has and this is a disaster," Katerina ranted.

"Well, great. I'll wait for Johann, then," Maggie said. She looked around the house and winced at how messy it was. "How old is he?" she asked.

"Two and a half. He's on his feet and everything he can touch gets broken. You were like that. It pissed me off," Katerina said, putting Andreas back on his feet. He immediately bee-lined for Maggie, holding his arms up at her.

"Hi, small person," Maggie said awkwardly, patting his hair down. "So, uh, it's been a while," Maggie said.

"Twelve years, ten months, sixteen days," Katerina bent over and started tidying up Andreas' toys. He was still holding his arms out for Maggie. "He wants you to pick him up. Don't you know that?" she said snappily.

Maggie put her arms under Andreas' and lifted him up, sitting him awkwardly on her hip like she'd seen Clint do with baby Nathaniel.

"I don't spend much time around kids, you know, so forgive me for not knowing how to hold one," Maggie said.

"What about your motherly instincts? Everyone has them," Katerina said.

"Kind of hard to have a motherly instinct when I don't have a womb anymore," Maggie rolled her eyes. Andreas reached out and put his hand near her mouth. "Don't do that or I'll have to eat them all up," Maggie smirked at Andreas.