130

"It's... It's her again!" Evelina screamed as she swung her hand and threw the box with the head off the desk.

'She just keeps ruining everything!' Evelina cursed Angelina madly. She looked at the decapitated head that had rolled out of the box and felt sick. Blood was still dripping and the cut of the neck looked horrific. Evelina almost couldn't stop herself from vomiting.

"Get... Get this thing out of my sight!" Evelina impatiently ordered Lia. Lia, though scared and reluctant, obediently took the birthday gift out to dispose of it.

************

Angelina hummed on her way to her room. Everything is going according to plan. All she needed to do now was get closer to the imperial family. The rest will fall into place soon.

One might think it isn't wise to provoke Evelina because of the threat written on the note given to Rienne. But Angelina knew Evelina was merely bluffing. Lia is useful in some cases. She would do anything Evelina ordered for her to do as long as she has the ability to. But killing a person is not one of them.

Evelina no longer has Carol. Without Carol, she can't really do much except for threatening. Lia might just be as ruthless as Carol. But she isn't as strong...

After some digging, Angelina found some information on Carol's background. Carol had worked for the Skyler family for years, but she planned to quit and become a knight instead. But all those plans were thrown away after she became Evelina's first rank maid. Carol didn't know what she was getting herself into when she was chosen.

The first time Evelina gave her those heartless orders Carol was reluctant. But she couldn't refuse. Evelina had people secretly kidnap her family and keep them as hostages. She told her that her family would only be freed after Evelina had achieved her ultimate goal. But in truth Evelina had given orders to kill the family after Carol had agreed to loyally serve her.

Reading the reports of the investigation, Angelina probably should've felt a trace of a pity. But she didn't. Why should she?

However these reports answer the question Angelina had. She had always wondered how Carol was so proficient in martial arts...

And as for Evelina's other "helpers"... Well they've already been taken care of.

************

In the end, Evelina didn't come out of her room. The duke, who would usually come to console her, didn't even bother to. He was simply too busy. He had to deal with the humiliation he got on Rienne's birthday, as well as his most troublesome daughter. Alex tried to convince Evelina to let him inside, but she kept refusing and he had no other choice but to leave.

The whole Skyler estate was shrouded with a gloomy air. Only Angelina was able to keep her good mood.

She'd spent her days attending parties and even would occasionally visit the imperial palace to accompany the little princess to play. She would always keep a cherry smile on her face. The nobles wondered the reason for her joyful mood. Well the reason is that the imperial family were slowly growing closer to her and  letting down their guard.

Step one, gaining the princess's full trust. Angelina would play and entertain Elizabeth everyday until she had completely won over Elizabeth's friendship. This step was completed easily. After all, Elizabeth already had quite the favorable impression of her.

Step two, win over the two prince's favor. This was also a success. Elizabeth would host a small picnic in the imperial garden and would always invite her two older brothers. Angelina used this to her advantage. The second prince has a weird obsession with studying insects, thus Angelina decided to learn about them. Leon was impressed by her knowledge and was quickly won over. Now he would often have little spats with Elizabeth on who gets to spend time with Angelina. It was really amusing to witness.