C h a p t e r 18

Chapter 18 : MadelynWednesday, July 21st, 2021

Wednesday, July 21st, 2021

I really underestimated just how high of a demand there was for nightlife on a Wednesday night here.

Having previous bartending experience has proved itself to be extremely useful so far, even as I shadow Riley, the bar manager for my shift.

It's just past 12:00 am, and I think things are going pretty well other than the fact Riley has some unspoken dislike for me.

I can't figure out why, but she's snapped at me multiple times already for the little mistakes I've made, but offered assistance to the others who need it.

I don't know what exactly I did to her, but I imagine calling out my supervisor on my first day of work probably wouldn't be the best start.

For now, I keep my mouth shut and continue to serve drinks.

I haven't seen any of the three owners of Rush tonight, and I find myself both pleased and slightly disappointed by it.

After my conversation with them earlier today at the cafe, I don't find myself as concerned to be in their presence as I was before.

Growing up in a shitty town with a shitty family desensitizes you to a lot more than you'd expect.

I wanted an explanation from Alec, Caleb, and Xavier more than anything else, and they gave me one. I'm not stupid, I know there's still a lot of information they withheld from me, but I take no offence to it.

I don't know anything for sure, but I do know they have some sort of side business going on.

I have no doubt I'll figure it out eventually, but they don't scare me anymore.

They told me what I wanted to know, so it worked for me.

The only problem now is that there's nothing preventing me from acting on my desire for them.

Last night, I spent hours thinking about everything that happened between Noah and I, and I allowed myself to cry over all the ways he's hurt me.

A huge part of me knew I fell out of love with him months before we broke up, but I was simply too scared to finally end things.

I moved out the rest of my things from his house today, and Hailey hugged me when I came back home.

I feel like a huge part of my life was just closed down, but I can't be sad when I feel like I've gained so much more.

I'm beginning to feel happy again and I even found myself excited at the thought of starting a new job. Maybe a little at potentially being able to see three particular men as well.

I like the way I feel around them.

Leaving the Horizon gave me the clarity I've been needing from them, but it also tore down the only barrier that was keeping myself away and my heart safe.