Five

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Ava

When we all have decided and ordered our food, uncomfortable silence falls and drapes over our shoulders like an unwanted robe. I look at James, thinking I would see him shift in discomfort like I am, but he's as calm as a bird. In a leaned back position, his conjoined fingers is drumming on his torso. Why the hell is he so relaxed?

I narrow my eyes at him, receiving a tilted smirk back. James then leans forward as he breaks our gaze and eyes the couple beside us. He is the first to break the silence.

"I don't think Ava has ever mentioned you, how long did you guys date?" He asks, faking an interested tone.

"About a year or so, I believe. Right?" He looks at me for affirmation, and I nod.

"Yeah, it was when I lived partly in Spain and California. I'm very close to my grandparents so I stayed with them for a large amount of time." I explained.

"Oh, so who dumped who then?" James asks.

The conversation -- actually, the whole situation -- was growing more awkward by the second, especially as I guessed where James was headed with this. I didn't believe he had any good intentions whatsoever, despite his polite invite to them.

"Uhm, it was Ava actually." Adrian finally replies.

I remember our break-up as it was yesterday, I even remember vague parts of our relationship. For being as young as seventeen, we were actually sort of serious. We had a pretty normal relationship for someone that age, it wasn't the perfect romance, but he always put me first and worshipped the ground I walked on. But it was never any thrill. Sure, we were young, but it didn't really do anything for me.

Towards the end of our relationship, there were rumors going around that he had cheated on me at a party I didn't attend, but I never found out if it was true. And when I finally broke up with him, his whole personality changed and he started getting defensive and rude.

"So you came back to California to win her back or what?" James asks, the filter vanishing from his lips entirely. I cast him a warning glance, but his smirk deepens. Adrian chuckles.

"No, no. That's in the past. I found out I could do much better once I moved on. It was stupid how hung up I was, honestly." He says, gaining back some confidence all of a sudden. I look at him in confusion. He chuckles at my expression.

"What? I'm just saying, getting your heart broken by someone like you wasn't exactly worth it. It was practically a one-sided relationship." He states.

"One-sided? How exactly was it one-sided?" I frown in irritation.

"You dated me as long as it suited you, and even though I treated you good, you broke up with me for no reason at all." He states. I feel myself getting more annoyed with his presence. Not only is he lying, but he presents me as the bad guy.

"That's not true, Adrian. I broke up with you because I lost feelings."

He scoffs and shakes his head to himself, averting his gaze away from me. "We both know what really happened. You acted like a bitch the second we were over and you probably still are. I don't miss a single moment we had, and especially not you." The words drip off like venom and I can't even believe I managed to put up with him for a whole year. He's even gotten ruder now than he was back then.

I roll my eyes at his childish behavior. Has he seriously not grown up, at all? I feel bad for his date, even though whatever is on her phone seems more interesting than what comes out of his mouth.