Chapter Twenty-One

I felt Nathan chuckle lowly against the back of my neck, and I was immediately swarmed with a large concoction of emotions - Fear, stress, and above all, raging anger.

 With spite, I rammed my elbow harshly into the soft part of his stomach. He grunted in pain and immediately let go of my wrist before backing away a couple of spaces.

I swerved around to face him before pushing him back by his chest so that he staggered back a couple of steps. 

"How could you do this to me?" I screamed.

He rolled his eyes and shoved his hands into his pockets, all casual-like, as though he hadn't done one of the cruelest things known to man. 

"Oh, would you calm down. We're literally only going to the top floor and then back again. It'll be easy peasy," he laughed.

"Easy, peasy?" I have fucking claustrophobia, you piece of shit," I hissed.

He shrugged. "Well, I have arachnophobia, so an eye for an eye," he taunted with a sly little smirk.

 I was seconds away from wringing his neck when I suddenly felt a large jolt as the elevator started to rise.

I shook my head frantically. "No, no, no, no, get me off, get me off," I stammered out, getting louder at each word.

 Not knowing what else to do, I started to kick at the elevator door like a mad man. I knew it was just in my head, but it didn't change the fact that it very much felt like the walls were getting tighter and tighter. I felt like I could hardly breathe, my chest rising and falling, faster and faster. 

I jumped slightly when I felt a warm hand on my shoulder. "Hey, are you alright?" Nathan asked in a surprisingly gentle tone.

"Don't fucking touch me," I hissed as I ripped myself away from his grasp. 

My head darted around to look at all the sides of the elevator, frantically searching for a way out of this prison-like hell. Nathan watched my movements with an arched brow, but I was far too panicked, to give a shit what he thought about me. 

Finally, my eyes latched on to the control buttons and I immediately ran over to the wall in which they were mounted. Manically, I started to press each and every button randomly in the hopes that the doors would magically open. 

The disadvantage of never being an elevator before meant I had no idea how to use them.

"Hey, what the fuck are you doing? It's not a toy!" Nathan yelled as he moved closer to me and grabbed my wrists. I immediately snatched them back and continued randomly pressing buttons.

 "Yeah, I know it's not a toy; that's why I want to get out," I screamed.

Nathan let out a frustrated groan. "If you carry on like that, you might brea-"

Before he could finish the sentence, the elevator lights flickered before switching completely off, and the whole shaft came to an abrupt stop.

 "-break it," he finished off quietly.

Oh shit...

I let out a shallow sob sound as I was drowned in absolute darkness. I'm not an elevator expert, but I knew that lights switching off was not a good sign.

Still hanging onto a slither of hope, I gave the elevator buttons a couple more random pushes, but then I squealed as a flash of sparks sprung out of one of them.

Yeah, this wasn't good...

I turned to face Nathan's shadowy figure and frantically shook my head.