Chapter - 8 Hail Aspen

Raine Simmons - Blackwood

I woke up To find myself in an unknown place, surrounded by trees in all directions and also by unknown people.

The leaves scrunched under my weight as I stood up. I patted away the dust before I took in the sight ahead of me.

Should I be afraid?

"Where am I?"

"Hello Raine!!" They all said in unison.

Nope, not weird.

Not. Wierd.

Who am I kidding? It was wierd.

"Um... Hey!!" I waved at them, tight-lipped.

"Don't worry, you are safe with us." An elder-looking man said.

Yeah! Very reassuring.

Why am I here by the way?

"We are the elders of the supernatural families. Two from each kind and We chose you as our Queen and our protector." One of them spoke.

"Why me?" I frowned at that.

Out of everyone, why did they choose me?

"Why not?" A lady in purple hair said.

Answering a question with a question. What have I gotten myself into?

"You are capable as our Queen. You have a vision, determination to work hard, commitment, and are selfless which makes you stand out from the crowd." She insisted.

"But I already am bound to the throne. I have a king, his family to protect and this..." I trailed off looking at her.

"We think you can do it. We trust you."

Do they trust me? Well, that's the new cause, they barely knew me.

"You think. But we know a lot about you, than you know." A guy with flame-red hair giggled and soon everyone followed the suit.

"Stop teasing her y'all. Anyways, We would like to ask you some questions and we want you to answer with honesty and think twice before you answer certain questions." The elder-looking guy added as he stepped forward towards me.

"Okay?" I shrugged.

"What does a man love more than life, hate more than death or mortal strife, That which contented men desire, the poor have, the rich require, the miser spends, spendthrift saves And all men carry to their graves? " The old guy asked soon after the others left us all alone.

"Nothing." I said, rubbing my arm with another, as the cool air passed by.

"Correct!!"

"Next one. The person who makes it does not need it. The person who buys it has no use for it. The person who uses it can neither see nor feel it. What is it?"