Chapter Forty One

"You okay?" Aurora asked, catching Tucker off guard.

"Huh?" Tucker whipped his head towards her, "Yeah. I think so."

"Heard you just got off a call with Hernandez." Aurora said, sitting down on the chair in front of Tucker.

"You really need to stop listening in to my office through the intercom," Tucker sighed, "But yeah, yeah I did."

"What'd he say? Any updates?" Aurora questioned.

"He couldn't give out much. He knows I'm dating Callum," Tucker said, recalling his conversation with his old college buddy, Neil, who was now working at the FBI, "But he did say they're closer now."

"Are you sure it's a good idea to try to keep yourself updated on Christian Kaufman?" Aurora frowned, "You can't say anything to Callum, and I can imagine how hard that must be."

"It's probably not a good idea," Tucker huffed, "Callum knows something is going on with his father but he doesn't know that he's about to spend the rest of his life behind bars. He keeps.. keeps trying to figure out what's happening and I know. I know but I can't tell him and I just feel so.. so.."

"Guilty?" Aurora asked, and Tucker nodded.

"Is it selfish to wish that Joe never told me?" Tucker pursed his lips as Aurora immediately shook her head.

"Ignorance can be bliss," Aurora said. When Tucker didn't reply, she continued, "About the elections for DA—"

"I haven't even given those a serious thought because of what all is going on." Tucker said.

"Tucker," Aurora began, "I understand what's happening is really hard for you, and I can imagine how terrible it must feel to keep something so.. just so life-changing from your partner, but there's nothing you can do here. Christian Kaufman dug his own grave—"

"I'm not upset about Christian Kaufman going to jail, from what I've heard he deserves it and is a scumbag. I'm just.."

"Upset because he is the father of your boyfriend and you can't say a word to him to prepare him for the shock. I know, Tuck. But you can't let it consume you. You've wanted to be the DA ever since I met you, and you cannot throw away your chance at this."

"I won't." Tucker replied.

"Can I take your word for this?" Aurora asked again.

"Yes," Tucker reassured, "You can. I told you the first day I met you that nothing is going to stop me from being the DA. That's till true."

"Good. I hope you remember this when the time comes." Aurora said. As she was about to leave Tucker's office, he stopped her.

"What would you do?" Tucker paused, "If it was Jaime, and you were in my shoes. What about you do?"

"I would tell them," Aurora continued before Tucker could say a word, "But I don't have half the ambition that you do, Tucker. If I did then I would make sure nothing would stop me from getting exactly what I want."

Tucker said nothing as he watched Aurora leave his office. He sighed to himself as he looked at the application in front of him. The pen next to it was a graduation gift from his favourite professor in law school who Tucker adored and vice versa. The only thing left for Tucker was to sign the application, something he had been delaying for the past few days.

He picked up the pen before scribbling his name above the line.

~~~

"Are you kidding me? This game is rigged." Tucker groaned.

"Babe, this is literally scrabble. How can someone rig it?" Callum chuckled.