Chapter 23

As they settled in to bed after eating supper, Estelle brings up the Grand Duke's unannounced visit to Blanchard, "Niko, I was wondering, why did you refuse Grand Duke Marcos' offer earlier this afternoon?"

Nikolaidis raises the blanket up and covers their bodies under it, not saying anything. Estelle watches him and waits for him to answer. Her husband seems to be in deep thought whether or not to give her the reason.

"If you don't want to tell me, I understand," she tells the Duke gently.

He sighs and sits up on the bed, "I don't want to cause you distress but I do think you have the right to know."

Estelle gets up as well. She runs her fingers over the worried creases on Niko's forehead, "what is it, Niko?"

"I don't have solid proof but I think the person who ordered the ambush was Crown Prince Henrik."

"What? But why would he do that?" This is very shocking news for Estelle. Does Niko and Crown Prince Henrik have some bad blood between them that I don't know of?

"I'm really not sure, but it might be because he thinks I'm competing against him for the throne."

Nikolaidis looks at his wife before continuing, "I have no ambition of becoming Emperor of Ghesquire, my love."

"So this is why you don't want to accept the title of Grand Duke?"

Niko nods, "yes."

He holds his wife's smaller hands in his and speaks, "but I have no choice if it's already been decided by the Emperor."

Estelle doesn't know what to say. She could only stare at their intertwined fingers. I had no clue Niko has been keeping this problem all to himself but this explains why Crown Prince Henrik was hostile towards Niko whenever they saw each other. This makes me extremely concerned for Niko's safety. The Crown Prince is one of the most powerful people in the Empire and he has all the means and resources to kill Niko. I wish I could do something to keep my husband safe.

"Don't worry, my love," he gives a small peck on the back of her hand, "I won't let this harm you. I'm going to protect us - our family."

"Do you have a plan, Niko?"

"I'm going to tell Crown Prince Henrik that I support him as the next Emperor. I think that would help convince him I have no intention of taking the throne."

"I hope that will happen," the Duchess says and embraces her husband.

Nikolaidis wraps his arms around her and nuzzles his face on the crook of her slender neck, tightening their hug. They hold still for a while, finding comfort in each other's warmth. She feels safe and secure in his strong arms. The yellow glow of the full moon outside is the only object providing them light in their dark bedroom.

The Duke slowly lays Estelle on her back as he presses his lips hungrily on hers. She returns it with the same urgency, spreading her legs so he can be closer to her. She lightly pulls on his soft brown hair as he slowly goes down her body, planting kisses all the way.

In the heat of the moment, she suddenly remembers the conversation she had with Henrietta, the matriarch of the orphanage, about having children of her own. It's strange thinking about becoming a mother at such an age. Even though in this world she's already 25, in her old reality she was merely a 21-year-old unemployed college student relying on her parents to finance her education and daily needs.

Having kids, let alone getting married, were still so far in my plans but this new reality is completely different. Although I worry about the future, I WANT to have kids with Niko. They'll be absolutely beautiful and I'll shower them with love and attention. I'm confident that me and my husband will raise them right since we're at the appropriate age, married, and very financially stable. But aside from that, leaving a child with Niko could actually be good for him. It might help him come to terms with my death, if I do really get executed...