Part seventeen [the last time i saw you]

Christmas arrived with mountains of snow and bright colored lights, a ton of coca-cola advertisements, fried chicken, and songs. It was lively in the orphanage, children sang while hanging up paper decorations as well as beautifying the plastic Christmas tree in the hallway.

When the day of actual Christmas arrived the building was practically bursting with enthusiasm, same as every year.

Unlike most days the kids were up insanely early and got to all go outside to play in the snow that was covering the ground in a thick puffy coat.

You swept some snow away before sitting at the stairs to the orphanage. Gazing up you watched the one-toned ashy white sky and the small drops of snow that drifted across it. The laughter of the other kids echoed in your ears somewhere far away at the edge of your consciousness.

"Not really up for playing?" Megumi's voice busted your little bubble. The silver-haired boy gazed down at you with those piercing brown eyes of his and that gentle smile that gave nothing away.

"No." You shook your head. You were tired like most time nowadays.

"About that dream of yours..." The boy started after a few seconds of silence. "... I don't know if it meant anything or if it was just a nightmare."

That made you look up at him again, watching his gentle profile, sloped nose, and thick white eyelashes. He had his hands behind his back and eyes turned to the group of playing kids. Then he once again gazed down at you, the edge of his pupil's drilling right into yours. "But I suppose even the most nonsense of dreams hold some sort of truth. May it be the past, worries, or insecurities tied to the present...or even the future."

You gulped and averted your gaze from his.

With his last words, the boy turned to the swarm of children and mixed right into it, disappearing amongst them like a drop in the ocean.

One of the most fun things about Christmas was the dinner, most countries had some kind of long-standing traditional foods they serve at that time.

Japan has fried chicken.

But hey you didn't complain, chicken is delicious and the orphanage actually allowed itself for this one time of year to spend a little bit more on the food quality. You sat with your group of friends around the table in the cafeteria, kids talking and running all around you. The air was buzzing with excitement as the children opened the buckets filled with chicken and took a slice of the white Christmas cake. They didn't waste any time digging in and neither did your friend or even you.

"Tastes as great as always!" Megumi cheered, munching happily on his piece.

Toothly was peeling the bread crumb batter just to enjoy it on its own before digging into the meat like a wolf. Yuki, not as interested in the chicken, was instead chomping down a thick piece of the Christmas cake as if their life depended on it.

The mint-haired boy sitting next to you was eating much more calmly, taking his time with the piece of chicken he was given but his eyes shone in pure joy at every bite.

Chicken, fat salty, and delicious practically melted in your mouth. Fast food was a thing you didn't really get to enjoy, being too expensive and out of reach which is why you decided to savor the taste as much as you could.

The dinner ended far sooner than usual as expected, all of the children clearing their plates in a matter of ten minutes which was not surprising seeing as they chopped down everything like packs of starved wolves. Then it was time for gift-giving, unsurprisingly Toothly prepared presents for everyone in your friend group, each member got a clay animal that the girl crafted herself.