Chapter 18: Red Chrysanthemum

MAEVE

I dab my round paintbrush into the blackish-purple hued oil-paint on my pallet. I drag the wet paintbrush onto the canvas in repetitive motions, moving back and forth, creating a night sky.

It's been a few days since Ms. Alcott gave me the open spot in her gallery, now I have less than a month to finish this painting and send it to St. Augustine.

I feel so ecstatic, so happy, so alive today, nothing will wreck my mood, not even if Courtney shows up... not that she ruins my mood, I'm sure she's a nice person... just not to me necessarily.

My stomach growls and I set down my paintbrush and cover up the pallet so the paint doesn't dry even though it's oil paint and it takes longer to dry than acrylic paint which dries almost instantly... why am I having a monologue about paint?

Well at least it's not about charcoal, that stuff is so messy.

I check my phone and see text messages from an unknown number.

Unknown- hi mave 🐱

Unknown- itz me giovani 😆

Brina- Gio asked for your number so don't be surprised if you get a few messages. :p

Jayla (work)- hey, someone came in asking for you.

I quickly send a reply to Jayla, whom I haven't spoken to since I quit- well since Alessandra and Sabrina quit my job at the diner.

Me- hiii Jay!!! It's been a while, how have you been? I hope you're good. :))

Me- for me? did they leave a name??:^)

I close out of the imessage app and turn off my phone, then shove it in the pocket of my mom jeans.

Shoot, I forgot to check the time.

I pull my phone out of my pocket again and complete my original objective.

12:34 pm.

I've been painting since 7:00 am, that's like five hours without food!

This is not normal, I love food!

I slip my phone back into my pocket and skip to the door. I pull the door open at the same time the door across the hall opens.

Elias comes out with his usual scowl. I smile at him, and he doesn't smile back. He turns his head away from me and walks down the hall.

"Morning Elias, or afternoon I guess?" I try to grab Elias's attention but he doesn't respond, "I promise I didn't just wake up, I actually woke up at 7, isn't that surprising?! I couldn't believe I woke up so early, but now I feel so refreshed!" I toss my hands in the air.

Elias doesn't respond. He drags his feet across the floor and rolls a lighter on his slightly less bruised knuckles, making the rectangular metal case weave in between his fingers.

"Elias?" The corners of his lips turn slightly downwards, "are you okay? Tired? I was going to make something to eat, are you hungry? Oh, pretty flower!" I gasp, kneeling down to examine the single red chrysanthemum.