chapter 5, 'Nurse in shinning armour'

18th April 1919, Newburn, Newcastle.

"I'm not joking. I'm here to take you to Birmingham where you" Tommy said, getting frustrated.

Okay, I'll give you that Mr. Shelby. It was a funny joke but who are you really and how do you know my name." Libby quizzed, stepping out from behind her brother's shadow for the first time since she and Sister Woodhouse had their fight if you could even call it that, Tommy finally got a good look at his daughter faces, her brown locks messy and sightly tangled with piercing deep blue eyes much like his own. There was no denying that the girl that stood in front of him was a Shelby. Libby had a few scratches on her face and a black eye had started to form from the physical altercation earlier.

"So, you're not some pig who's gonna arrest us." James quizzed. It became more obvious to Tommy why Libby did most of the talking and why he got in the most fights. James clearly didn't get the brains. His dark brown hair was cut similar to Tommys. His dimples gave James a very young-looking face and he wore a grin similar to Johns. His eyes were a replica of his sisters. A bright ocean blue.

"Nar Doylem, obviously not," Libby said while making a frustrated face. "You know sometimes I wonder how we are related, let alone twins."

"I'm just making sure, calm down," James replied.

"Okay, you two get your shit together. We are leaving." John demanded, getting fed up with just waiting around.

"Who are you again? I know who you are." Libby said pointing at Tommy, "But we don't know who you two are."

"I'm Ada. Your dad's sister and that idiot over there," Ada said, pointing at John," Is your Backward uncle or our brother."

"Hey, I'm not backward," John said, trying to defend himself.

"Yes, you are John," Tommy said, getting fed up with John and Ada's antics.

The twins shared a look. Everything was about to change, whether they liked it or not. Libby was on the fence about leaving. It had always been her dream to get out of Newcastle but now the opportunity had presented itself, she wasn't so sure. Libby didn't know if she could trust the Shelbys even if by blood she and her twin were also Shelbys. Life had never been easy for the pair so why should it be any different now. The more Libby thought about it while she, James, John, and Scarlet went up the stairs oy pack their stuff, the more doubt that crept in, putting her on edge. It made her start to second guess what was the right decision.

James, on the other hand, was happy about leaving. Everything he had dreamed of since their mother died was coming true. He and his sister were getting a family. A family that cared about them. A family that would look after them properly. James couldn't see any negatives to the change except having to leave John and Scarlet but he was sure that they would come and visit or at least he could always come back to see them. James just wanted what was their best and only option. I mean they had travelled up from Birmingham to come and get them and to be honest Tommy didn't look like the type of man to not get what he wants so James was sure it didn't matter what he or his sister thought, the pair would be in Birmingham by the end of the day and were going to be made to adjust to their new life.

As Libby and Scarlet entered their room and James and John entered theirs the four of them were quiet for the first time in a long time.

"Ada, John, will you two please go up and see what's taking them both so long. I'm losing my patience." Tommy's gruff voice broke the silence.

"Yeah, of courses. Come on John stop staring at the pretty woman and get a move on will ya." Ada snapped, causing John to come out of his trance and Sister Hunter to blush.

"I can show you to their rooms if you would like?" Sister Hunter asked softly and calmly.

"Can do love," John replied in a cheeky voice with a grown smirk plastered on his face causing Ada to roll her eyes at the immaturity John was showing.

"Right this way then." Sister Hunter said, leading them toward the stairs. The two Shelby's swiftly followed and ascended the large never-ending staircase.

"Right this is Libby's room and I'll take you to James." Sister Hunter said Pointing at Libby and Scarlets Bedroom door, giving Ada time to knock and open it before Sister Hunter turned to look at John.

"Do I know you from somewhere, love?" John asked. He could remember her face, how couldn't he, she was beautiful but he couldn't place where he had seen it.

"I don't think so, Mr Shelby. I've only left Newcastle once and well I don't talk about that." Sister Hunter replied looking down with a sad smile.

"You were in France as a nurse, at the Somme, third line weren't you?" John asked in a serious tone, finally remembering where he had seen her before.

"Yes. Yes I was and that's where I recognize you from. I stitched up the bullet hole on ur shoulder, didn't I?" Sister Hunter said Finally letting herself remember the horrors she had seen and letting the relief flood in, at the fact that she had managed to save a man's life and he was standing in front of her.

"You did. You were my Nurse in shining armour." John said, letting his cheeky grin come back to his face.

"Okay, this is James' room. Let me know if you need any help Mr Shelby, I'll be downstairs." Sister Hunter said before she walked back down the corridor.