Chapter 11

For the first few days of Defense classes, Professor Lupin and Pollux work out a relatively easy routine

For the first few days of Defense classes, Professor Lupin and Pollux work out a relatively easy routine. Pollux would usually assist his teacher in writing notes on the board or handing out graded homework while the professor talked about the lesson. There wasn't much to do during the days of revising what the 3rd year classes were supposed to learn the previous year, and he found himself sitting behind the professor's desk and assisting when asked. Pollux also noticed that Draco Malfoy was absent from the first class, but thought nothing of it until...

"Mr. Malfoy," Professor Lupin spoke up from the front. Pollux turned from the blackboard to glance over his shoulder as the class filed in. "How nice of you to join us."

"I would've been here yesterday, but you see I am obviously injured and had to spend the day in the hospital wing." Malfoy droned, and Pollux turned back to writing organized notes on the blackboard so he could roll his eyes freely.

"Everyone please take your seats." Professor Lupin retrieved his textbook from his desk and flipped open to the correct chapter. There was some scuffling about as students followed instructions. "Now, please open your textbooks to chapter 3. Can anyone tell me about Red Caps? Anything at all."

Pollux finished with his notes and moved to sit behind Professor Lupin's desk, placing his own textbook down in front of him open-faced to the right page. He then reached for his own personal book and begun to read. It was an easy lesson today, and Pollux doubted that he would be of any real assistance today. It was still early in the year, and there weren't many papers to grade just yet. Some time and several chapters into his book later, Pollux's attention was brought to the class again.

"Mr. Malfoy," Professor Lupin interrupted the Slytherin boy's whispering. "Seeing as it's your arm that's injured and not your eyes, maybe you wouldn't mind paying attention to the lesson. Thank you." Pollux pressed his lips together to resist the smirk that threatened his face as he watched the Gryffindors snicker to each other.

When the bell rang signaling the end of class, Pollux waited until the 3rd year class vacated the room before he moved from behind the teacher's desk to take his usual seat. He could hear the other students milling about in the corridors, talking to friends and moving about on their way to the next class. It wasn't long before his own class made their way into the room, Fred and George taking the available seats next to him. When the bell rang again and Professor Lupin flipped the blackboard to begin writing key notes for their own chapter of the day, the DADA teacher was surprised to find the other side already filled with the correct information in neat and tidy penmanship, and the older man turned to give Pollux a thankful nod.

"Now..." Professor Lupin's beginning of the lesson was cut off as Castor came through the classroom door, looking slightly winded and stumbling a little as she closed the door behind her. Having not seen his sister since the day before, he was surprised to see that her left hand was wrapped in a layer of bandages.