five | disaster ridden

Chapter Five:
Disaster Ridden

ALREADY OVER REHEARSALS the next day, Lucy was writing down lyrics to a song she was writing as Carlos got everyone set up to practice curtain call. EJ was stood by her, glancing at her every so often, confused as to what she was so focused on writing. He glanced up when he heard Ricky talking to Carlos as he and Nini walked across the stage.

"I'm kinda lost. If the play's already over, why would we still be dancing?" Ricky questioned. Nini sighed annoyedly and rolled her eyes.

"It's a curtain call. You're the last two to come out. We want to bring the audience to their feet," Carlos explained to the boy who made a face and nodded as if he understood. He did not. Ricky was still very confused.

"Teach them the dance," Ricky nodded. Lucy looked up and he saw her do so from the corner of his eye. He looked over at her and she pursed her lips, shaking her head slowly at him. Chuckling when he smiled sheepishly at her, Lucy looked back down at her writing and continued what she was doing.

EJ glanced between the two with a frown, evidently not the only one upset with something or other having to do with Ricky Bowen as Nini asked, "Carlos? Can we just wait until Miss Jenn gets here?"

"Miss Jenn is busy tracking down a prop," Carlos quickly shot her down. "She's asked me to create a crescendo, people, so, let's stop swirling, and start twirling."

Lucy giggled at his joke and closed her notebook, putting it in her backpack next to her mom's journal, deciding to actually tune in for rehearsals now.

"But why are we practicing the bows when we haven't even practiced the play?" Ricky asked, Lucy smiled at his innocence. Oh you pure little innocent newbie theater kid. You have so much to learn.

"Because you start with the hardest dance that takes the longest to learn. It's in The Big Book of Broadway," Carlos began, Gina joining him in passing as they both said, "Page 374."

"Turn to page 394," Lucy muttered to herself in an off handed Snape impression.

"Okay, people. Let's take it from three counts of eight, right before Troy and Gabriella's entrance for the bows," Carlos commanded. Lucy leaned against a few boxes between EJ and Gina as they watched the rehearsals.

"So how bad do you think this is gonna be?" Ej muttered to Lucy who looked up at him with a slight glare.

"Don't be a jerk, Ej. It's his first show. You weren't perfect our first show either," Lucy reminded him, crossing her arms as she looked back at Ricky and Nini. "Although, I do think Nini's having a hard time with him here. He's really getting on her nerves."

"And you? What do you think about him?" Ej asked, Lucy didn't pick up on it, but Gina could hear the double meaning in his tone.

"He deserves a chance to prove himself in the show. He's not a bad kid, he's just... I think he's just confused is all. He kinda reminds me of a puppy," Lucy admitted with a shrug.

"I see it," Gina commented, earning a smile and a small "right?" from Lucy. Their small moment of giggling was cut short when they heard Nini start talking to Carlos.

"What is he doing?" Nini asked annoyedly.

"Why are you talking to him? I'm right here," Ricky reminded her.