Chapter 6 - Hunter Scott

Okay, am I hearing things? Or did this guy just call himself my boyfriend?

Great, I get saved from one creep by another. Story of my life, I guess.

"Excuse me?" I say, and as he turns to face me, I take a closer look at my so-called savior, and for the briefest of moments, I lose my breath.

He's kind of beautiful.

He's tall, definitely over six feet. He's got a strong, defined jawline, pitch black hair that's perfectly messy, shorter in the back, but just long enough in the front, and his eyes... Those eyes. They're the most beautiful blue I have ever seen. Not baby blue or silvery blue like most people's. They're almost indigo, like the color of the ocean on a sunny day.

Suddenly words fail me, and I can think of nothing to say. He gives me a look, silently urging me not to speak, before turning back to the guy who was previously hitting on me.

"I said she's my girlfriend, so back off, she's taken. And don't touch her." His jaw is strong and set, and I see his fists clench. "Or we'll have a problem," he finishes.

The guy in front of us looks me up and down, and apparently deciding that I'm not worth the trouble, he scoffs. "Whatever man. She's too skinny for me anyway." He turns away and returns to his friends.

My "boyfriend" puts his arm around my shoulders and starts to guide me away, and I immediately start to squirm. He leans down close to my ear. "Just play along until we're out of sight, okay?" he says quietly. "If you want, you can be on your own after that."

The second we turn the corner, I all but push him off me. "Okay, not that I'm not grateful, but who are you?" I demand.

He raises an eyebrow at me, clearly surprised by my hostile reaction. "I'm the guy who just went out of his way to help you out."

"I was actually looking for a name."

"I'm Hunter. And you must be - "

"Mia."

"Really? I was going to say insane," he says. "What the hell are you doing walking around aimlessly alone at night anyway?"

I narrow my eyes at him. "I wasn't walking aimlessly, I was walking home. And I walk here all the time, it's usually pretty safe."

"Well, you should be more careful. If I hadn't shown up, you could've gotten into a lot of trouble," he replies, and I can tell he's annoyed with me. Well, he can suck it up, because the feeling is mutual.

I scoff, and cross my arms over my chest. "Well, I'm sorry. Obviously, if I knew that was going to happen, I would have just called the chauffeur," I say sarcastically.

He leans against the wall, shutting his eyes and letting out a sigh. Once he opens them, he takes a step forward and gestures to me. "Come on," he says. "Which way is your house? I'll walk you."

I take a step back, unsure.

Why am I even still talking to this guy? He's a stranger. A hot stranger, but still a stranger. This isn't safe. Not that walking alone would be safe either, not after that. But I don't know anything about this guy. Is it too much to ask to just get home without having to make any more life or death decisions?

"Why should I trust you? For all I know, you could be an axe murderer," I say, and honestly, I'm only half joking. You never know these days.

He smirks and raises his arms up like I'm going to do a full weapons search. "Do you see an axe?" he asks, clearly amused. When he does so, I can't help but notice how broad his shoulders are, but I look away before he can notice me looking. "Besides," he continues, "if I wanted to hurt you, don't you think I would've just left you with those guys?"