xix

Arjun lingered around the block, small puffs of smoke coming out of his mouth, courtesy of a cigarette. The place was fairly guarded, he spotted 3 police men. Windows were always closed, and the only back door they had was through the kitchen, which was being guarded by a policeman.

His phone vibrated in his pocket and he picked it up,

"Machan target details vanthurchu. Naa unnaku anuparen."

(We've got the target details. I'll send them to you.)

Arjun shifted behind the thick bushes and said, "Panam vanthurcha?"

(Have you got the money?)

"Illa da, pathi anupitanga."

(Not yet, they've sent us only half.)

Arjun sighed frustratedly, "Vetri, panam anupama naa ulla po maten da."

(Vetri, I won't do anything unless we have the money in hand.)

Vetri clicked his tongue, "Dei athalam avanga anupiduvanga. Intha deal nammaku illana namma road la iruka vendiyathu than."

(They'll send us the money, don't worry. We can't afford to lose this deal.)

Arjun huffed, "Etho oru kandravi. Phone ah vai."

(Whatever.)

As soon as he put down the phone, it beeped again. Vetri had sent him the target details. He was about to leave when he heard a voice nearby. He immediately jumped down, hiding behind the bushes. He peeked over and saw two women, one in her late 20's and another who was very pregnant.

He ducked down, and tried to listen in on their conversation.

"Anni, ennaku intha edame seriya padala. Etho oru mathiri iruku," the younger woman said.

(I don't think anything is right with this place, it feels weird.)

The older one smiled and said, "Unnaku ellam nadanthathunala unnaku apadi thonuthu." She rubbed a hand affectionately on her bump, "Ennake oru feel uhm varala."

(You feel so because of everything that happened. I feel nothing of that sort.)

The younger woman sighed, "Yaaro namala watch pandra mathriye iruku...." She smiled at her and said,

(Feel like someone's watching us.)

"Kutty Rohini ku enna peru vekka poringa?"

(What are you gonna name your child?)

The other woman grinned, "Therila. Enga amma peru vekalamnu yosichitu irunthen."

(Not sure. I'm planning on keeping my mother's name.)

"Ungaluku enna venum boy ah girl ah?"

(Do you want a boy or a girl?)

She shrugged, "Ethu vanthalum same love than. Healthy ah poranthale pothum."

(Anything I'd give them the same love. It just needs to be healthy.)

The two started walking away, and Arjun stumbled onto the ground. He was an idiot, a bastard, a monster. A person who takes money to kill or harm people. He sighed in agony. He was so disgusted with himself. Seeing the pregnant woman, reminded him of his Anjali. Shaking his head, he sprinted out of the area. Once he was out he pulled out his phone to see the details of his target once more.

Rohini Pugazh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------