Chapter Thirty One - Seahorses and Date Nights

"What about this?" I held up a small tan colored clutch in front of me.

Daniel shot me a withering glare that he'd done more often than I was happy with, so I slowly placed it back on the shelf. "Emily, let me explain the one month anniversary to you. It's crucial for the health of the relationship to get the perfect gift. Like for the longevity of the relationship. As in there is no relationship without this gift."

My phone buzzed and I pulled it out, checking the screen. Lucas's name flashed and my heart thumped.

Lucas: What are you up to tonight?
Emily: Most likely recovering from this traumatic shopping trip with your brother, why?

I shook my head to wipe the stupid smile that was on my face before turning back to Daniel. "Where'd you hear that anyway?" I asked as I sifted through some watches on a display.

"Cosm- it doesn't matter. It just means you have to think outside of your -no offence- old ideas and think like a teenager again. Just try and remember those good old days. I know they're so far off for you." Daniel stated wistfully as he wheeled his way into the jewelry section.

"Hey, watch it. You don't want to offend your muse. She might, oh I don't know, purposely not recommend the perfect gift," I stated as I followed him like a lost puppy.

He gasped dramatically, "You wouldn't. And ruin my relationship?"

I rolled my eyes at him before hearing my phone ding again. I pulled it back out eagerly.

Lucas: I wanted to take you out
Emily: Like on a date? I'd love to
Lucas: Don't let Daniel bully you too much today

I grinned like a maniac at my phone before shoving it back into my back pocket. Focus, Emily.

I forced my attention back on the task at hand before spotting a delicate bracelet with a pendant hanging from it, "What about this? You could always get a pendant that's more personal."

Daniel scooted over and studied the piece of jewelry so thoroughly I thought he was going to throw it to the side like the other fifty items I'd suggested. "It's perfect."

"I can't tell if you're mocking me," I trailed uneasily. Daniel had managed to make me feel like an old, perpetually single hag in the last hour. And I was pretty sure I was currently seeing someone. Sort of.

"You've proven your worth," he grinned at me, "Thanks, Em."

I let out a sigh of relief that the torture was over with, "No worries."

"Now, what to choose for the pendant." Daniel's eyes began to scan through the pendants on display and I groaned loudly earning me another annoyed glare from the teenager.

An hour later, he had managed to choose a seahorse as his pendant. Apparently, he was so nervous on their first date that he had rambled to Rebecca about how everyone thought lobsters mated for life but it was actually seahorses that did. She was so interested in the conversation that they spent their dinner googling facts about seahorses.

By the time Daniel had coerced me into wrapping the gift and then re-wrapping the gift because he wasn't satisfied with the wrapping paper he chose, I was getting ready to leave the condo with very little dignity intact. I waved to Daniel on my way out and made my way out of the condo letting out a puff of cold air as I did so when I recognized a familiar curly haired, smiling face.

"Hey, Emily!" Miguel jogged over to where I stood.

I smiled at him and tugged my jacket a bit tighter as the cold nipped at my neck, "Hey. Done training?"

He nodded, "Lucas made us rush back for some unknown reason. Real jerk about it too." His eyes twinkled mischievously as he looked at me, crossing his arms.

I wasn't sure if Miguel knew about Lucas and I and I didn't particularly want to find out. "How's Mateo?" I asked changing the subject quickly.

His arms dropped and he immediately grinned, "He's just amazing. Ah, that reminds me. Maria told me to invite you a New Year's Eve dinner she's throwing. She told me to invite you a while ago, so please tell me you're free or she'll never forgive me and I'll be on diaper duty for the next five months."

"Sure," I laughed.

"Great! Well I'm on Daniel watch." Miguel waved. I wondered where Lucas was. Did they come back together?

"Good luck in there!" I cautioned him. Daniel was in another head space altogether with his nerves about his one month anniversary. I heard his rambunctious laugh as he entered the condo and assumed he knew what he was getting himself into.

I walked around the corner and crossed the courtyard to make it to my bus only to see Lucas leaning against his car.

I felt a smile immediately spread across my face and a reciprocal one brace his features. "Hi," he grinned.

"Hi," I repeated.

He took a few steps closer so that he could interlace his fingers with mine and give them a gentle squeeze, "How was your day?"

My cheeks were aflame and my stomach was in knots. I cleared my throat nervously, "It was mostly spent convincing Daniel not to get Rebecca a diamond ring."

Lucas let out a loud laugh and I stood, mesmerized by his perfect features. How could he even want to go out with someone like me? He was beyond gorgeous. "We had the same talk last night."

Lucas held a finger up to me before opening the back door of his car and pulling out a bouquet of flowers, handing them over to me tentatively.

I clutched the large bouquet, "These are beautiful," but not as beautiful as you. It worried me how quickly my heart was moving with Lucas. I wasn't sure if my brain was following.

Lucas led me to the passenger side of the car and opened the door for me. I slid in and snapped my seatbelt on. He crossed in front of the car and sat in his seat, beginning to drive.

I took in his casual leather jacket and dark wash jeans that complimented his figure so well. But, everything complimented his figure well. "Where are we going? Because I'm not exactly dressed for anything fancy." I looked down at what I was wearing with disdain.

Lucas smiled, "You look beautiful. You always look beautiful." I felt a blush come on when Lucas stretched his hand out to hold onto mine in my lap as he drove, one hand leaning casually at the top of the steering wheel. "Did you tell your dad you were going back to visit?"

I tried to focus on the conversation at hand, "I did. So I'll be gone for Christmas Eve and Christmas."

He nodded but didn't say anything so I continued, "What are you doing for Christmas?"

"Kyle usually ends up hanging around and Miguel and Maria join at some point." He glanced over at me, "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you, too," I replied softly. The truth was that I didn't miss going back home half as much as I used to. Lucas and Daniel had already felt like they had become an extension of my family.