Chapter 38

Yuna comes home to find Ryujin sitting on the couch, snacking on sweets while looking exhausted. The vacuum cleaner, duster, cleaning cloths and a pail of murky water are lying on the floor.

"What have you been doing? Where's Yeji unnie?"

"Cleaning up. She's gone home."

"You cleaned up?"

Ryujin nods and puts another piece of jelly inside her mouth. "I bet you these jellies that you won't find a speck of dust in this living room or in the kitchen."

"You rarely go all out like this unless something's really bothering you. What happened?" asks Yuna as she picks up the cleaning equipment and puts them away.

Ryujin remains quiet.

When Yuna's done with her task, she sits down next to Ryujin and turns the TV off, eliciting a protest from her friend. "You're not watching it anyway," she says. "What happened?"

"You know how you and Mr. Hwang have been saying that Yeji's too young?"

Yuna nods.

"Maybe you're right."

"Why? Did you guys fight again?"

"Yes."

"What about, this time?"

Ryujin summarizes their argument then sighs. "Maybe I was rushing things. Maybe I should've waited until she has passed at least one lifetime."

"You can't exactly control these things, Unnie, and you both wanted it. I don't think it's wrong to have gone ahead with it."

"But?"

"But you knew this would happen and you said you'd have the patience to deal with her."

"I do but what if she never gets over her insecurity or the childish anger?"

"She will, eventually. But it will take a lot of effort from your side. You need to continue reminding and convincing her that she's the only one for you," says Yuna. "By the way, I think she had the right to be angry. Although I know you didn't mean to compare them, I, too, would be upset if I were in her position. I'm sure there are plenty of new songs or songs you didn't associate with her that you can use to convey your feelings for Yeji unnie."

Ryujin thoughtfully chews on a jelly worm. "I wish she would've said it in a nicer, more reasonable way though instead of yelling at me and storming out of the house."

"She was probably totally surprised so she reacted instantly without thinking. Again, she's young and she adores romance. You were once like that too."

"I was not!"

"You weren't as loud and you probably didn't storm out but if the person you were dating did the same to you, you would've reacted just as she had. You love romance very much. In fact, you practically worshipped it. For example, you kept seeing that duke in secret when you knew they could have your head if they found out."

"I couldn't die even if they hanged me," retorts Ryujin.

"True but that's not why you were with him for that long," says Yuna with a knowing smile. "You loved the thrill of a secret love affair with a handsome, chivalrous and romantic blueblood. You were head over heels for him. Wooed in every possible way. He was literally willing to do anything for you, even if it meant disowning his family."

Ryujin turns slightly pink at the cheeks but says nothing.

"You love the feeling of being special to someone so you should understand why Yeji unnie was angry. She loves being special to you too."