Chapter 39

Another year has come and gone. By now, Yeji and Jisu have both adjusted to their new lives. Their friendship hasn’t changed even though they have different priorities now so they’ve learned to relax and just go with the flow, not thinking about the impending separation.

Ryujin and Yeji are doing fine as well although no longer as lovey dovey as they were at the start – which is normal for a couple who have spent three years together. Nevertheless, their friends still consider them the most enviable couple they know; even Jisu said so.

They’re all gathered at Jisu’s apartment one Sunday afternoon for a small party. Close friends of both Jisu and her husband are invited under the pretense of celebrating her husband’s recent promotion.

After everyone has eaten, Jisu’s husband stands up and tries to get the room to quiet down.

“I want to make an announcement,” he says.

“Are you going to tell us how much you’re making now and rub it in our faces?” quips his best friend.

“Yes.”

The women laugh while the men loudly tease him.

“I was just kidding!” he says. “But seriously, I have important news.” He then looks at his smiling wife. “We have important news.”

“Uh-oh. Don’t tell me. Did you knock her up?” remarks Minju, a friend of Jisu’s and Yeji’s.

He flashes a proud grin then says, “Yes. I’m going to be a father.”

“What?!”

“You’re pregnant?!”

“Holy crap!”

“Oh my God!”

The room instantly bursts with exclamations followed by congratulations. Everybody comes up to the happy couple to shake their hands, pat their backs or hug them.

Yeji’s among the first to congratulate Jisu and her husband before she steps aside and let the others do the same.

She returns to her seat and watches her best friend quietly. She has never seen her that happy before. Not even at her wedding. The young woman is practically glowing.

Some of their friends have gotten married and had children so it’s nothing new but she has never witnessed it up close like this, to see it happening to someone near and dear to her.

Inside, a dormant worry resurfaces but before she can dwell on the thought, Yeji suddenly senses someone sitting next to her and turns her head to see Ryujin.

“You okay?” asks Ryujin.

Yeji nods and fakes a smile. “It’s a very happy news.”

“It is.”

“I’m going to be an aunt.”

Ryujin wraps one arm around Yeji and starts stroking her upper arm gently. “How do you feel?”

“I’m excited!” replies Yeji a bit too loudly.

Ryujin knows that Yeji’s not telling the truth but she wants to give her a chance to process everything on her own. Besides, it would be awkward to look unhappy when everyone around them is celebrating.

She stealthily kisses Yeji's cheek then tells her that she’s going to get some water for them.

Ryujin stands up and is about to go into the kitchen when she notices Jisu’s husband’s best friend who’s standing just outside of the circle around the happy couple. He’s smiling and reacting to the others but his eyes would shift towards Yeji every once in a while.