Chapter 37

And with that, Wanda races out of the bedroom with a grin that could rival that of the Cheshire cat's before I have the time to even blink.

"Hey! No one said it was a contest in speed!" I yell out after her and push myself off the bed to follow her into the main area of the small cabin.

"That's true!" Wanda yells over her shoulder, not slowing down until she skids to a halt in the kitchen, her hair fanning out behind her like a sparkling fire.

"A true sign of a novice." I haughtily remark and slow my walk, push my shoulders back and walk just a little straighter, my chin in the air. "Speed over quality."

"Alright then, you just take your time and make your one pancake, Livvy." Wanda pops out from under the counter with a bag of flour in her hand and I have to suppress a smile at hearing her nickname for me again.

"My pancake will be the one, true supreme." I shrug coolly and join her in the kitchen.

Wanda tilts her head slightly and looks at me with a twinkle in her eyes and I already know she's got something up her sleeve. What that exactly is I find out exactly a second later as she flicks her wrists and the cupboards all slam open with small streaks of red flying off them and I jump back.

"Fuck! That is not fair!"

"Language." Wanda just leers and makes all sorts of bowls and whisks land gracefully in front of her as I just scowl at her which just makes her giddier, apparently, as if she's onto some joke I'm not a part of.

"Alright, well, you just go ahead and cheat, then." I say and steal the bowl from her hands.

"Hey!" She exclaims with an exaggerated pout, which I ignore.

"I will do this the old-fashioned way, the way pancakes have always been made, for hundreds and hundreds of years..." I go to open the fridge, but finding nothing inside but a slightly musky smell.

"Eh, Wanda, one problem..." I begin and look at Wanda over my shoulder.

She turns to look at me with raised eyebrows, then her eyes travel past me to the fridge.

"What do you need?" She asks and looks back at me.

"Well, eggs, milk, butter..." I start listing off, trying to remember what actually goes in pancakes. "Do you happen to have a 7-Eleven around the corner?"

"Nope, but you got a me. Look again." Wanda just says and when I do, all the ingredients I've just listed are sitting there in the fridge like they were always there.

"Alright, I'll admit, that is damned handy." I grab the ingredients and when I turn to bring them back to the counter I catch Wanda's smug expression and I know she's having too much fun. It's weirdly enough not an odd feeling at all to behave like this around her and have her be this playful around me, and that's something that surprises me when I think back to the first time I saw her in the far corner in front of us when she wanted to get rid of us so badly she broke my arm and ribs and I shot a bullet at her. If you'd have told me then I'd be making pancakes with her in this very room I would probably have shot you, and laughed.

I smile at myself and place everything down in front of me when I'm standing next to Wanda again, and I extend my hand towards the flour for her to pass it to me. She takes the already opened bag and as I go to take it from her she squeezes the bag, making a huge puff of flour shoot up into the air and straight into my face. I jump back, surprised, coughing slightly from having inhaled some of the flour.

"Are you mad?" I gasp between fits of cough as my eyes water.

"Some have called me that." She breezily shrugs, leaning against the counter to watch my struggle.