010

010

"YOU ARE IN so much trouble," clarisse said.

they'd just finished a ship tour they didn't want, through dark rooms overcrowded with dead sailors. they'd seen the coal bunker, the boilers and engine, which huffed and groaned like it would explode any minute. they'd seen the pilot house and the powder magazine and gunnery deck (clarisse's favorite) with two dahlgren smoothbore cannons on the port and starboard sides and a brooke nine-inch rifled gun fore and aft – all specially refitted to fire celestial bronze cannonballs.

everywhere they went, dead confederate sailors stared at them, their ghostly bearded faces shimmering over their skulls. they approved of annabeth because she told them she was from virginia. they straight up didn't like ivy, much less when percy let out that she was from san francisco. they were interested in percy for a second, because his name was jackson – like the southern general – but then he ruined it by telling them he was from new york. they all hissed and muttered curses about yankees.

tyson was terrified of them. all through the tour, he insisted annabeth hold his hand, which she didn't look too thrilled about.

finally, they were escorted to dinner. the css birmingham captain's quarters were about the size of a walk-in closet, but still much bigger than any other room on board. the table was set with white linen and china. peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, potato chips and dr peppers were served by skeletal crewmen. ivy didn't want to eat anything served by ghosts, but her hunger overruled her disgust.

"tantalus expelled you for eternity," clarisse told them smugly. "mr d said if any of you show your face at camp again, he'll turn you into squirrels and run you over with his suv."

"did they give you this ship?" percy asked.

"course not. my father did."

percy blinked in disbelief. "ares?"

clarisse sneered. "you think your daddy is the only one with sea power? the spirits on the losing side of every war owe a tribute to Ares. that's their curse for being defeated. i prayed to my father for a naval transport and here it is. these guys will do anything i tell them. won't you, captain?"

the captain stood behind her looking stiff and angry. his glowing green eyes fixed percy with a hungry stare. "if it means an end to this infernal war, ma'am, peace at last, we'll do anything. destroy anyone."

clarisse smiled. "destroy anyone. i like that."

tyson gulped.

"clarisse," annabeth said, "luke might be after the fleece, too. we saw him. he's got the coordinates and he's heading south. he has a cruise ship full of monsters –"

"good! i'll blow him out of the water."

"you won' be able to," ivy said. "we have to combine forces. let us help you –"

"no!" clarisse pounded the table. "this is my quest! finally i get to be the hero, and you three will not steal my chance."

"where are your cabin mates?" percy asked. "you were allowed to take two friends with you, weren't you?"

"they didn't... i let them stay behind. to protect the camp."

"you mean even the people in your own cabin wouldn't help you?"

"shut up, prissy! i don't need them! or you!"

"clarisse," the son of poseidon said, "tantalus is using you. he doesn't care about the camp. he'd love to see it destroyed. he's setting you up to fail."