Chapter Twenty

Hudson

When I wake up on Thanksgiving it's pouring down rain. I've never minded the rain. The world always seems more peaceful when it's coming down.

Rain will wash away everything. Pollen, dirt, dust and our own emotional pain if we let it.

After our family fell apart, I'd sit outside in the rain for hours. I'd let the coolness seep into my pores, down to my bones and wash my soul clean.

I climb out of bed, being as quiet as possible. Everyone else seems to still be asleep.

Making myself and Josie a coffee, I head back into my bedroom. It's nice waking up to her in my bed. I could get used to it.

After hanging out with her aunts when we all arrived back here, Josie and I climbed into bed and restarted what we'd had going in the truck. She fell asleep after with my shirt on, and her hair is still in a tangled mess from my hands. She looks fucking perfect.

"Time to wake up, princess."

I stoke her cheek and her eyelids flutter open. Those big, brown eyes looking up at me make my heart swell.

"Hey." She mumbles, "Is that coffee I smell?"

"Yes. I made one for you."

"My hero." She grins, sitting up and taking the mug from my hands. "Thanks, rockstar. And thanks for letting my aunts come here. I'm sorry my parents house was, was... was what it was."

"It's not your fault, Josie. Don't ever think it is."

Her eyes swell with liquid, and it's the first time I've seen her emotional about it since we left. I was expecting her to be a wreck last night. Granted, things got hot and heavy pretty quickly and she didn't have much time to dwell on things.

"I keep hoping my mom will come around or my dad will stand up for me. This isn't the usual reasons they've been upset in the past. This isn't a B on an essay or my love for music getting in the way of their plans. This is my life. My future. Trey tried to hurt me, and he would again if given the opportunity. It's fucking wrong, and they know it. Yet they want their empire of a business so bad that they're blinded by it."

I take her mug from her and place it down on the nightstand. I pull her against my chest, holding her as her tears dampen my shirt.

We stay like that a while. I'm not sure what to say to take away her pain.

I remember when I first met Josie, I figured she'd be stuck up and spoiled. Little did I know we aren't that different. Her parents have hurt her just like mine hurt me. It doesn't matter how well off she had it. Pain is pain.

We hear shuffling around the apartment, and that's what finally gets us out of the bed.

Josie splashes cold water on her face and brushes her hair. But still, even wearing my wrinkled shirt and a pair of leggings, she looks like she should be an Instagram model.

We wander into the kitchen where Denise and Sadie have started their own pot of coffee. I play some music from my Bluetooth, choosing Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson as we begin to make breakfast.

We don't make banana pancakes, though. Instead, we make eggs, bacon and cinnamon rolls.

"How are you holding up today?" Sadie asks Josie.

"I'm okay. Thanks. I just wish things were different."

"Me too. Elizabeth has always been temperamental, but what I saw yesterday made me feel sick."